new years black eye peas

Ive never liked them myself. I use to make myself eat a few only on New Years Day, and I couldnt tell I was anymore prosperous when I at them, than when I didnt. So I dont eat them anymore.

Quote:
It's kinda like Santa. You have to BELIEVE!
wink.png

From Wikipedia:

Black-eyed peas are traditionally eaten on New Year's Day in the American South and in some other parts of the U.S. In some areas, they are served as a starchy side dish, cooked with or without sidemeat, bacon, ham bones, fatback or another pork product and/or diced onion, and often served with a hot chili sauce or a pepper-flavored vinegar. In other areas, they are served in a traditional dish called "Hoppin' John" made of black-eyed peas cooked with rice, sometimes pork (such as hog jowls, ham hock, sidemeat or fatback), and seasonings.

The traditional meal also features collard or mustard greens or cabbage. This is supposed to bring good luck and financial enrichment. The peas stand for good luck, the greens symbolize paper money. Cornbread also often accompanies this meal.

The "good luck" traditions of eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day are recorded in the Babylonian Talmud (compiled ~500 CE), Horayot 12A: "Abaye [d. 339 CE] said, now that you have established that good-luck symbols avail, you should make it a habit to see Qara (bottle gourd), Rubiya (black-eyed peas, Arabic Lubiya), Kartei (leeks), Silka (either beets or spinach), and Tamrei (dates) on your table on the New Year." A parallel text in Kritot 5B states that one should eat these symbols of good luck. The accepted custom (Shulhan Aruh Orah Hayim 583:1, 16th century, the standard code of Jewish law and practice) is to eat the symbols. This custom is followed by Sepharadi and Israeli Jews to this day. The first Sepharadi Jews arrived in Georgia in the 1730s and have lived there continuously since. The Jewish practice was apparently adopted by non-Jews around the time of the Civil War.

These "good luck" traditions date back to the U.S. Civil War. Union troops, especially in areas targeted by General William Tecumseh Sherman, would typically strip the countryside of all stored food, crops, and livestock and destroy whatever they couldn't carry away. At that time, Northerners considered "field peas" and corn suitable only for animal fodder, and as a result didn't steal or destroy these humble foods. Many Southerners survived as a result of this mistake.

Rice and peas is a popular dish in Jamaica and other Caribbean Islands.

Texas Caviar is a traditional New Year's Day dish made from black eyed peas marinated in Italian salad dressing and chopped garlic and served cold.

In Portugal black-eyed pea is used to serve boiled cod and potatoes and also with tuna and in salads.

In Vietnam, black-eyed peas are used in a sweet dessert called chè ðậu trắng (black-eyed peas and sticky rice with coconut milk).

In Greece and Cyprus, they are eaten with vegetables, oil, salt and lemon.

In the northern part of Colombia black eye peas are used to prepare a fritter called "Buñuelo." The beans are immersed in water for a few hours to loosen their skin and soften the bean. The skins are then removed either by hand or with the help of a manual grinder. Once the skins are removed, the bean is ground or blended and eggs are added which produces a soft mix. The mix is fried in hot oil. It makes a nutritious breakfast meal.​

I am not taking any chances with 'luck' in the new year -- we always have black-eyed peas, greens, and cornbread on New Year's Day --
:)

I guess it's a 'southern thing' -- we grew up in GA -- all kinds of superstitions and traditions!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

I have lived in Ms and La and in Ms this is a big thing, it is what they call "SOUL FOOD"

No I am not being politically incorrect this is what they call it
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom