new years black eye peas

Quote:
Tradition says you have a lucky day for each pea you eat.

I "broke" with tradition to the extent that my blackeye peas were served in the form of Texas caviar, cabbage was coleslaw and had garlic bread instead of cornbread. Alas, did not have collards; hope that doesn't mean I'll have no "foldin' money" this year (that's what my grandma told me when I was a kid - hated greens then; still do)

Texas caviar is really quite good!

We had them. Blackeyed peas, pork, cornbread, and green beans and onions. Delicious!

Wonderful way to start the year!
big_smile.png

Funny thing is me and my girlfriend love black eyed peas, but she is just as happy to eat them out of a can. I have to cook them either frozen or fresh but never from a can. With a ham hock no bacon, and cornbread.
Cornbread and black eyed peas just work, you know what I mean. Heck I pour my beans in a bowl over my cornbread sometimes.

PunkërTeçhñöRøø§ter :

Cornbread and black eyed peas just work, you know what I mean. Heck I pour my beans in a bowl over my cornbread sometimes.

Because your momma raised you right. LOL
wink.png

I'm a northerner and still love some of those edible traditions. Black eyed peas with ham hocks and collard greens is one of the best. These things are soooo good, but as you southern cooks know well, it really depends on the cook knowing what to do with them. My son, an urban northern guy makes the best, most authentic collard greens around here. Buys the greens from the produce market, not in a bag, and cleans and trims his own. Cooks gently with smoked meat, adds a little vinegar and hot peppers, mmmmmmmm. The peas are also cooked slowly for a long time, and when they're done we can't wait to get to them. Sometimes we do like Miss Prissy and put the cornbread in a bowl with the peas on top. Yummmy. Oh, and our tradition is to drop a coin in the pot of Hoppin John, the person who gets it in their bowl will get a wish come true.

Back
Top Bottom