New York Times April 1, 2012 "Nobody Minds Dyeing the Egg, but the Chicken is Another Story"

How long does the dye last? If its injected early enough during development, could it not penetrate all the bird's cells and be permanent, like a tattoo? I can see several practical applications for this, if it lasts, like color-coding generations in your flock. What kind of dye is used? Any special procedures for injection?

Neil Wigley

If you inject the dye to early it does not really do much. If it is injected to late it stays in one spot dyeing only that spot. The down is the only thing that really takes in the dye an the color is gone once the down is gone..

As for commercial sales of dyed chicks... As was stated, they are commercial leghorns. The half that are females would otherwise be stuffed in to a laying house cage. The half that are males would have otherwise been stuffed threw a grinder at a day old. Not saying bad things dont happen to dyed chicks but comparing the options I would rather take my chances as a dyed chick.

If you feel the need to have dyed chicks for Easter, go to the feed store, buy some pullet chicks and dip them in.

When I was a kid I tried that. Didn't work very well. Also tried egg dye. I didn't do a very good job with that either. Maybe it was my technique. Didn't hurt the chicks, though.

If you feel the need to have dyed chicks for Easter, go to the feed store, buy some pullet chicks and dip them in.

When I was a kid I tried that. Didn't work very well. Also tried egg dye. I didn't do a very good job with that either. Maybe it was my technique. Didn't hurt the chicks, though.

If you make a paste out of kool aid and use a styrofoam paint brush it works better, but it takes a while.

Most people who don't raise animals don't frequent feed stores, so where are they seeing these dyed chicks and making irresponsible impulse purchases? Pet stores that don't carry farm/ranch supplies probably shouldn't be allowed to sell them, especially if keeping the adults is not legal in most of the surrounding residential area. But I see nothing wrong with stores that normally carry chicks, at least during the spring from selling dyed ones at Easter. I can also see requiring that care information be available to purchasers,

Some birds DO rely on parents that feed them. So, I guess the question in the case of Florida is whether parakeets, parrots, doves, finches, etc. fall under the same "must be 4 weeks" law, and whether that is the right amount of time for all these various species of birds? And what about hand feeding? Hand fed birds are supposed to be much friendlier and more tame as they imprint on humans.

Seems like this law was so poorly crafted that it tried to lump all species under one set of rules--that only make sense for a small subset.

I don't know, in many areas there are 2 places to buy dog food. The grocery store and the local feed store. So, yes, your average Joe pet owner will be in feed stores a LOT as the pet food is cheaper. Thankfully, none of the feed stores I've ever been in have ever sold dyed chicks. Then again, I'm not a fan of giving animals as gifts for any reason/occasion.

Also, around the Easter holiday, people who know nothing other than "baby chicks/ducks are cute; I saw them in a commercial" WILL go to feed stores and buy chicks/ducklings. Even goslings or swans. I know many people who work at feed stores and 99% of the customers who come in for that reason never listen. They nod and make agreeable noises. Then they are back in the store a few days later, even the next day, because the birds are sick. Or dead. Or the cat ate them. Or they smell funny. Or the kids already lost interest in them.

So, yeah, dying chicks may not be cruel in itself. My question is, who is it meant to target? Farmers will have no interest in them, unless they already planned to buy that breed. Hobby farmers may pick some up on impulse - we have a hard time resisting chicks period! But, the average "non-chicken" person? Now THEY are going to be attracted to the dyed chicks. Plus, when are dyed chicks for sale? Only right before Easter. So, what is the purpose? To attract ignorant owners to adding cute fuzzy chicks to the kids' baskets.

That is cruel to the birds, in my opinion. They aren't being sold as living creatures with needs, but as toys.

I got the impression that the article was an April Fool's joke, being that it ran on April 1.
tongue.png

Yeah., I really wish people wouldn't inject dye into the eggs....ugh..so many morons screw it up and harm the baby inside.. :0(
You can color them VERY easily with kool-aid or food coloring after they hatch.
I think they are cute and make cute little gifts for kids Easter baskets... (as long as the parents know how to care for them properly..)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom