New

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fieldsway, Oct 23, 2015.

1. fieldsway

fieldsway New Egg

Oct 23, 2015
    Hello my name is Sabrina and this is my first time on here! I recently got an blue English chicken I did have the rooster to match but a chicken hawk took off with it! Very sad! Now I added two roosters to my farm in my backyard lol not sure what kind they are. They are really big and pretty they look like show roosters.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Sabrina

Glad you could join the flock! I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your rooster to a hawk :hugs;) We have some large buzzards that fly above us and they worry me too if I have my chickens out free ranging.

The what breed gender section would be a great place for you to post some pics of your new boys so other members could help you ID them. He is the link ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
    How many hens do you have with having 2 new boys?

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Sabrina, [​IMG]

To avoid over-breeding, it's recommended to have about 10 hens per rooster...hope you have lots more girls!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Yorkshire coop and NorthFlChick have both given you some excellent advice. That 10 to 1 hen to rooster ratio is especially important. As they mature and their hormones kick in, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Michael gave you the straight talk. I hope you have more than the one hen - their lives matter !! They don't go around abusing the roosters.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello Sabrina!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

8. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by