Newb question about behavior

mrwoodboat

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 25, 2012
Sorry for such a basic question but my two fantails are the 1st pigeons that I have had so not really familiar with their behaviors, yet.
Today I watched one of them look as if they were feeding the other one- the one doing the feeding is the one that usually does the strutting, head thrown all the way back and wing tips down- although I have observed both do a little bit of strutting...so I am not so sure I have a male and female- these two were bonded together in a group of about 7-9 other fantails.

Just curious what this behavior is, trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks

As part of the courting/mating ritual, the cock will feed the hen. Frequently she will squat and he will mate her. Then nest building will ensue - followed by him 'driving' her. He will follow/chase her, pecking at her and trying to drive her to the nest. This may look abusive, but it is normal behavior. Once the eggs are laid, both parents will incubate them. Good luck. Sounds as if you have a bonded pair.

Well- I am no longer so sure that I have a pair. The one definitely hangs out in the nesting box while the other one stands "guard". IS there anything I can look for to determine sex in fantails? Such as thicker skin at the top of the beak or so forth?

After seeing some courtship behavior a couple of weeks ago, that is all the interest I have seen them have for one another. They were housed indoors in a barn with lights on a timer. Today, I moved their hutch outside under a porch so they would have natural light..

Hi guys sorry I'm spamming this thread I have no idea how to make a new one and I wanna know why Leon's doing when he grabs my finger and shakes his head, I think it has something to do with feeding my finger? But I'm really not sure. This is the first pigeon I've ever owned and I'm learning new things about him every day but not really lol

Back
Top Bottom