newb with questions -pics added

emilyann

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 15, 2008
Australia
Hello! Im Emily, Im new to chicken love, but I have 5 isa browns which I have hand raised from 1 day old, and i THINK they are about 3 months old now ( had a house move and got dates all crazy, plus im the most un-organised person on the planet!) and Im wonderring how I can tell if my girls will be laying soon? They are starting to get their Big Girl Clucks ( voice change from "beeps" to "bwarks") and their baby fluff is all gone and they are gorgeous and brown and shiney. Their combs are light coloured and small though.....is that a signal of anything?

Also, my husband made a coop for the girls out of steel ( he is a magnificent welder, terrible carpenter!) and it basically an A frame with an upstairs section which I have lined with straw. It doesnt have any nesting boxes to speak of, are they vital? Or is it possible my girls will lay their future eggs in the upstairs straw lined bit? Or do they need their own individual box to lay their eggs in? The straw space is only big enough for one hen at a time so they would be sharing the nest. Will try and get some pics so this all makes a bit more sense
roll.png

much gratitude for any thoughts and advice! I love this site!

x Emily

Last edited:
I don't think you are likely to get eggs for another month, maybe 2. As for the nesting box ????'s I have 7 hens and finally added a 2nd box but some days they all lay in the same one. It sounds like a cozy spot for yours to lay eggs in the loft.

I think a welded coop ought to rate way ahead of wood and wire for safety.

Look forward to pics and good luck.

Their combs will turn nice and red before they start laying. You probably have at least a good month if you think they are three months old, probably more.

It sounds like the straw lined place will work for a nest box. My chickens usually all use the same one.

You know what... that coop looks just awesome to me! I think they are lucky and its well done! Your hubby should be proud!

oh! thankyou so much! I shall make him an extra helping of dessert tonight after such great coop reviews! One more thing I forgot to add.....shoud I be putting plastic eggs in the loft section now before they are laying?

Thanks Riocotesei, thats great idea! and that chick in your avatar is just beautiful! Makes me want to go get babies again....
tongue.png

Welcome and great, super cool coop!!
smile.png
The only problem I see (and you may not run into this) my girls want to sleep high, lay eggs low. They were happiest when I made a nest box out of a rubbermaid tote and put it on the floor. Your girls may be totally different, though.
smile.png
If not, you may end up getting a lot of poop in the nest and eggs on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom