Newbie? about day 14 candling... long

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 5kQueenBee, Apr 27, 2009.

1. 5kQueenBee

5kQueenBee New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Here is the incubation history....I am incubating 12 eggs for my k5 class and after working so hard to build my incubator and getting my eggs and incubating for 5 days my thermostat went out. While I was trying to figure out the problem and my temp was dropping, I ended up using a heating pad to keep them warm.

I woke up every hour during the night to check the temps and readjust. I am so afraid that I got temp too high at one point - keep in mind that it was the middle of the night and I was half asleep...

I was then given a still air styrofom incubator so I continued to incubate and we are now on day 14. I candled today and while I did not see any movement or blood vessels, I did see what I think was
    one blood ring
    one with a dark but uneven edge something sharp seemed too be sticking down from the dark mass
    all of the others had a dark mass filling one end and side and a well defined air sac filling about 1/3 of the egg

Does that sound right to you for 14 day eggs? Should I see movement? Any input would be great.

Hoping for one miracle baby for my little kindergarteners!

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    1/3 of the egg is alot. I think on day 14 you should have a smaller air sac in the rounder end of the egg, a solid masstaking up about 1/2 to 2/3 of the egg, and still have translucent space towards the pointy end of the egg. Anybody else help out here?

3. 5kQueenBee

5kQueenBee New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Thanks Jenjscott....well, I candled again late last night with a better candling set up, and I can see the air sac and it is not 1/3, just at the tip. AND....I for sure saw 3 live chicks moving around. The others may be fine, but I just did not see them move. They seemed to look like a dark C shape and I could see viens. So I think despite all of the mishaps I may get a live chick or two!

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I hope it turns out for you, sounds like you may at least get some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by