newbie breed help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ScaevolaVt, May 19, 2012.

1. ScaevolaVt

ScaevolaVt Hatching

May 19, 2012
    Vermont
    Hi there-

Just got my first three chicks from the local feed store. We were supposed to get a New Hampshire, a Barred Rock, and what they call an Araucana (though I know this will be an EE). They were all hatched 5/1/12. The problem is the BR, which is feathering out brown and and black. She/he has the beginnings of a single comb and black legs and beak. Here are a couple photos. Any ideas on what this little guy is? Or am I wrong, and this is just how BRs feather out?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Songster

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    My barred rocks feather out black and white. I don't know if this is a barred rock, and if its not I don't know what is

3. texas75563

texas75563 Songster

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    Black sex link pullet. Barred rocks and black sex links get mixed up all the time at feed stores and TSC. I paid for 8 black sex links from TSC. I got 8 barred rocks.

4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    As the others said, Black Star.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Is the NH red in the first pic's background? If so, it's not a NH Red. The others are as stated, EE pullet and a Black sex link pullet.

6. rthomp11

rthomp11 Hatching

May 19, 2012
    The brown one is the Araucana. The Black one will be the Barred Rock. I have about 30 Araucana's and they all started out with the brown heads and feathers.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    No barred bird in those photos. Black sex link is your best bet, as stated. They're great birds, good layers.

8. ScaevolaVt

ScaevolaVt Hatching

May 19, 2012
    Vermont
    Black Sex Link, huh? Good to know. Yes, the brown one is the EE - it started out as a chipmunk. The one that is supposed to be a NH started out yellow and now has that brown that I figured would get redder - do you think it's something else?

[​IMG]

9. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    It's probably a Production Red or Red sex-link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: