Newbie Chicken and duck farmer

Tinadudley5000

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2018
Hi My name is Tina. I Live in New Zealand. We just finished building a new house on one acre of land and are trying to be self-sustaining and provide our own food. We are also trying to get ready for retirement in 15 years so by then we need to have this all sused out.

A couple months ago I answered an ad on a online forum for a chicken sitter. I thought it was for 18 chickens but it was for 80 chickens. I thought this would be a good bonding experience for me and my daughter she declined after I accepted so I was stuck in for 3 weeks much on my own with some help from my husband to take care of all these chickens. I fell in love with a couple of bantams and took them home with me. They are named after my husband and Me.

I recently lost my job so I accidently ordered 10 chicks 5 Brown shavers and 5 Cobb meat monsters. I then purchased a breeding group of Muscovy ducks because my chicken hitman who is Indian wants to eat Muscovy ducks. So Now I have 17 animals on 10 duck eggs under the mother duck. This has gotten way out of control real fast. But I am loving it. We have out grown all our coops added a run and now looking into building a large coop. I am new to this I was a city girl. Have no idea What I am doing so I googgle often and this forum has never let me down.

Today’s questions is how much do I fed my cobb meat monsters they are 3 weeks old and growing before my eyes. They never seem to have enough food. I have a large feeder they eat on demand is that too much?

Second my Muscovy mama kicked 3 eggs from her nest should I put them back under her?

awesome clear.gif
byc-ripple.gif

You "accidentally" ordered chicks? :lau Yikes! The chicken math bug bit you pretty hard!

With meat birds, they grow super fast and I believe you have to limit their food intake... offering food for only half the day or just twice a day... ?? Try asking your question in the meat bird section. I have no idea about the duck eggs, but if mama rejected them, they're likely not viable. Mama animals know stuff like that.
Be sure to check out the gardening forum too
farmer.gif

Good luck with your new homesteading adventure!

Back
Top Bottom