Newbie chicken owner, first build.

jaward

Hatching
May 19, 2017
Kentucky
I went all in! I have 8 hens, and built this 4x8 coop inspired by my barn. Then I probably over did it, by attaching a 25x25 run. They have been free ranging, and will continue to, when I'm there to close them up at night.
IMG_5405.JPG
IMG_5533.PNG
IMG_5446.JPG
IMG_5528.JPG
IMG_5526.JPG

You did a really nice job! I wish I could have convinced my husband on a starter coop like that for me. I guess I should be happy with what he built me. He said I had to start smaller because I might not like chickens. I'm trying very hard to prove him wrong!

I love it! So cool that is designed to match a very nice looking barn. The question I have is is the run tall enough to walk in for cleaning? The photos make it look short.

It's only 4 foot tall. I don't plan on going inside the run much, but can if I need to. Like I said it's my first time caring for chickens, but I didn't know there was much need for cleaning an outdoor run. I did make the coop easy to clean by having the entire side panel hinged so it opens. I have sand in the bottom of the coop, and I use a liter box scoop to clean the coop.

It's very pretty and nice! I do have to agree that the short run may be problematic. What if they lay an egg somewhere in the middle of that?

I wonder how difficult it would be to raise it up by adding another section of wall under the existing walls? Or, maybe remove the top wire covering, build the walls up higher and replace the covering. That is a great amount of space for a walk in run!

It's very pretty and nice! I do have to agree that the short run may be problematic. What if they lay an egg somewhere in the middle of that?

I wonder how difficult it would be to raise it up by adding another section of wall under the existing walls? Or, maybe remove the top wire covering, build the walls up higher and replace the covering. That is a great amount of space for a walk in run!
I'll squat down and go get the egg, plus my kids are still short. I don't see it being a big issue, for the amount of materials it saved, and to get the look I wanted I'll bend over from time to time. I'd venture that I spent more time going in out and out of it while building it than I will in the day to day caring for my birds. However I do appreciate your input, and if turns out to be an issue, I'll modify it.

Ah, the optimism of a chicken newbie! I love it! You will learn. You will see. :old

:lol: :cool:
(Don't pay any attention to me. I can't help being amused. Been there, done that. It's all meant in friendliness. But you can get tired of chicken poop on your knees. :lau)

Back
Top Bottom