Newbie coop finished, but with nesting box questions...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Purvis Peckers, Sep 19, 2009.

1. The Purvis Peckers

The Purvis Peckers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Well, it's pretty much finished. But I need to know if my nesting box set up will work. Do I need to make more of a cut-out to make it easier for them to hop in? And I'm guessing straw is the preferred nesting material? They are standard size Brahmas.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I ove it, it's great! I think for the nest boxes, I would probably cut the fronts down a little and leave the sides and back alone. I'd cut the fronts that they access by half. Allowing them easier access but still holding in the straw you have in there.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree with the previous poster...they need to be cut down a bit in front...maybe halfway down. Straw has been used forever, but many say it tends to attract mites more because it's hollow. I just put the pet bedding (pine shavings) in mine...
    Everything looks good though! [​IMG] Very cute coop!

4. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    yup, but sand down the sides so there not rough...and HOWWWWW CUTEEEEE....!!!! I LOVE IT, VERY NICE...

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Great coop!!!! I like the eggboxes.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Very good! I love having access to my nest boxes from the outside.

And as said, cut the fronts of those crates half way down and then tape the edges where you cut with some gorilla or duct tape.

Perfect coop... like mine!!!

7. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    I Love it, it really looks good.
    I would trim out some so they can hop in easier. You might find them roosting in the nest boxes if the roost are lower than the nests.
    Great job.

8. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Love the coop!!!!!! Agree with OP's...lower front a bit to make it easier to get in. Shavings or straw should be fine

9. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Good pics and cute coop. Love the flower-box. Am thinking of doing a couple on mine. Would only put in plastic flowers tho. I would use grass clippings from your yard. We use it for floor litter all of the itime and it is free for around 7 months a year here. I asked local Ace hardware store and they let me come in when I want and clean out their covered 40' straw trailer (broken bales, etc), so I stockpile enough to carry us thru the winter. Chickens eat grass clippings too, just as if it was hay. I have a lot of grass in my run and they eat that every day so that I never have to mow it. ( My run is 2,000 sq ft tho.)

10. aimeeinwv

aimeeinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

nice coops! I love the design. You've done a great job. I agree with all above, shave 'em down and sand it dull. You're girls will sure be happy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by