Newbie Egg Questions

Don't wash them with cold water either because that makes bacteria enter the egg. Wash with warm water like room temp. When you wash with cold water it makes the egg contract and it sucks in everything. It's something I learned from a local farm when I bought pullets years ago.
Oh boy.... another question now popped into my thick skull....
Now that it's below freezing at night, isn't that the same as refrigeration - that the cold air will effectively shrink the interior of the egg, and draw in bloom / bacterial through the egg shell?

So -- different egg handling safety for winter climates???

Don't wash them with cold water either because that makes bacteria enter the egg. Wash with warm water like room temp. When you wash with cold water it makes the egg contract and it sucks in everything. It's something I learned from a local farm when I bought pullets years ago.

@FortCluck , would this be true even if you just barely pass them through coolish water for an instant? I guess my question is, how long were they in the water at the farm? Thanks.

Oh boy.... another question now popped into my thick skull....
Now that it's below freezing at night, isn't that the same as refrigeration - that the cold air will effectively shrink the interior of the egg, and draw in bloom / bacterial through the egg shell?

So -- different egg handling safety for winter climates???
You will be fine leaving your eggs in the cold for a while because it still has the bloom on it. The bloom is what protects the egg and seals all the pores shut so if you wash it, you are washing off that protective layer. When you wash an egg with cold water, you are washing off the bloom and the egg contracts and sucks in all the bacteria. If the egg is out in the cold with the bloom on it, the pores are shut so no bacteria can enter the egg.

I wouldn't suggest leaving them outside for extended periods of time because then you will have frozen eggs.

Also, @FortCluck, when we say "wash," do we really just mean "rinse? At the farm, was there any actual soap or scrubbing going on? So glad you had this experience so I can "pick your brain!"

If I have a dirty or poopy egg, I usually just wipe the soil off gently with a wet paper towel. The others get a quick rinse, more like a very quick shower, under warmish water to get any dust off. Does that destroy the bloom, do you think? TIA.

@FortCluck , would this be true even if you just barely pass them through coolish water for an instant? I guess my question is, how long were they in the water at the farm? Thanks.
I was always told warm water because the bloom is washed off when you wash eggs. The farm never washed their eggs until they used them, there is no need to wash eggs until they're used.

Everyone had their own special preference to how they handle their eggs. I'm a wash later type of person or spot clean if dirty. I give my eggs to many people and they know that they need to wash with warm water before use.

You will be fine leaving your eggs in the cold for a while because it still has the bloom on it. The bloom is what protects the egg and seals all the pores shut so if you wash it, you are washing off that protective layer. When you wash an egg with cold water, you are washing off the bloom and the egg contracts and sucks in all the bacteria. If the egg is out in the cold with the bloom on it, the pores are shut so no bacteria can enter the egg.

I wouldn't suggest leaving them outside for extended periods of time because then you will have frozen eggs.
I pretty much collect eggs twice a day - I guess I'll check more often as the weather changes. Cold and snow is on it's way... Can't wait!

Agree- I started for the same reason. All my chickens are pullets. Are you saying that as they mature, the "excess" hardness will abate?
It’s hard to say for certain. My hens have been going through a soft molt since last Spring so I suspect they need more protein and calcium to produce eggs and feathers, and in turn have stronger shells. Now is the “normal” molting period and the hens are about 2/3 finished their molt. They were laying all summer and peaked in September. Now they are not laying much at all. But are very healthy looking.

I don't wash or rinse or a thing (unless gross) until I use them. I store mine in the fridge. They last much longer, and I've got more eggs than I can use. When I give them to neighbors, I put them in cartons with a label that explains that my eggs are unwashed but should be cleaned before using, just to be safe. I'd feel awful if someone got sick because of my eggs...

Also, @FortCluck, when we say "wash," do we really just mean "rinse? At the farm, was there any actual soap or scrubbing going on? So glad you had this experience so I can "pick your brain!"

If I have a dirty or poopy egg, I usually just wipe the soil off gently with a wet paper towel. The others get a quick rinse, more like a very quick shower, under warmish water to get any dust off. Does that destroy the bloom, do you think? TIA.
When I say wash, I mean just rinse... I never knew people used soap on eggs :eek:Im sure that would leave eggs tasting quite different.

I wet a paper towel with warm water and spot clean. I don't think a quick rince and Patti g dry would ruin the bloom. next time you rinse your eggs see if they feel a bit slimy on the outside, if they do that means that the bloom is coming off. Feel your egg before you wet it and then feel it after, you should be able to tell if the bloom is coming off.

I don't wash or rinse or a thing (unless gross) until I use them. I store mine in the fridge. They last much longer, and I've got more eggs than I can use. When I give them to neighbors, I put them in cartons with a label that explains that my eggs are unwashed but should be cleaned before using, just to be safe. I'd feel awful if someone got sick because of my eggs...
I feed my excess to the dogs and chickens. I can't wait to have pigs so they can eat the excess.

Back
Top Bottom