Newbie Egg Questions

Also, @FortCluck, when we say "wash," do we really just mean "rinse? At the farm, was there any actual soap or scrubbing going on? So glad you had this experience so I can "pick your brain!"

If I have a dirty or poopy egg, I usually just wipe the soil off gently with a wet paper towel. The others get a quick rinse, more like a very quick shower, under warmish water to get any dust off. Does that destroy the bloom, do you think? TIA.
I just wipe if the eggs are particularly dirty.

Oh, good, I'm glad they don't use soap or anything. I thought I saw where some of the ginormous egg producers run them through a quick antibacterial shower or something. But don't ask me where I saw it, I've slept since then. :rolleyes:

The question -- do I need to wash them before cracking them?

I store unwashed on counter.
I don't wash eggs unless they are very dirty, then will refrigerate or use immediately because thorough washing will remove all the protective bloom(cuticle).

If you're going to 'wash' or 'clean' them,
do it thoroughly, not just a wipe or quick rinse.

Eggs should be washed in 'water warmer than the egg'.
Simple physics, using colder water will cause the egg contents to contract, causing any 'germs' on exterior surface of egg shell to be pulled into the interior of egg thru the shell pores. Using warmer water will do the opposite.

I don't use any soap or other cleaning/sanitizing agent, just rotate in my hands to 'scrub' all surfaces area of egg shell. Then I air and towel dry before placing in the fridge.

If you are washing eggs for sale to the general public, other requirements may apply, so check your state regulations.

I'm having a very hard time cracking open my eggs without some of the eggshell getting into the uncooked egg.
As far as hard shells, I break eggs on the edge of sink instead of on the edge of bowl, less chance of shells in mix.

I don't wash eggs unless they are very dirty, then will refrigerate or use immediately because thorough washing will remove all the protective bloom(cuticle).

Simple physics, using colder water will cause the egg contents to contract, causing any 'germs' on exterior surface of egg shell to be pulled into the interior of egg thru the shell pores. Using warmer water will do the opposite.

I don't use any soap or other cleaning/sanitizing agent, just rotate in my hands to 'scrub' all surfaces area of egg shell. Then I air and towel dry before placing in the fridge.

If you are washing eggs for sale to the general public, other requirements may apply, so check your state regulations.

As far as hard shells, I break eggs on the edge of sink instead of on the edge of bowl, less chance of shells in mix.
darn aart you are right on, Im impressed this time! I dont scrub any eggs and I can keep them on the counter for days. as far as pets go, a fresh breakfast is very much a plus! most of my hens are snuggle chickens anyways.

I crack mine on the corner of the stove of counter. You can also use a knife, but that one takes skill to not get shells.

Also new to fresh eggs and chickens but we have been doing as follows..
-keep inside of coop and especially nest boxes as clean as possible
-eggs from coop to counter, dry (wipe only if rare occasion of poop on one)
-my wife washes them (hot water) right before cooking, I just cook them..eggs are really clean 99% of time and shells are nice and strong

Back
Top Bottom