Newbie Egg Questions

We don't wash but simply rinse our eggs if they visually 'look' dirty. They stay on the counter until used and if we are not keeping up with the girls production we put them in a carton once there is a dozen, and the carton goes in the frig and numbered to keep the rotation. As far as your hard shell problem, try cracking them on a blunt surface like the flat surface of the kitchen counter...if your not washing or rinsing as they come in, ALWAYS wash them before cracking! No reason to have chicken fecal matter in your food.

No fecal matter is deposited on an egg during the laying process. I know, I thought the same thing! There is only one vent, and everything passes through it, right? Poop, urine, eggs.... but I found out recently that when an egg is laid, the opening to the intestines is completely closed off internally. I know @aart has a wonderful video that shows egg development, it may show how the egg exits the body. I wouldn't mind seeing it again, if she would be so kind?

@NHMountainMan - practice a time or two without the egg. Just rap your knuckles on the stove top. Tap! Tap! Then try it with the egg and see how that works. Hold the egg lightly, loosely, between fingers and thumb, not snug in your palm. Tap! You can do it!

No fecal matter is deposited on an egg during the laying process. I know, I thought the same thing! There is only one vent, and everything passes through it, right? Poop, urine, eggs.... but I found out recently that when an egg is laid, the opening to the intestines is completely closed off internally. I know @aart has a wonderful video that shows egg development, it may show how the egg exits the body. I wouldn't mind seeing it again, if she would be so kind?
Not always true.
I have had a couple birds that consistently poop when they lay...their 'two-way door' is faulty. There can also be poop on butt feathers or feet that can be transferred to eggs.
..and I have to repeat, if you're going to 'clean' an egg do it thoroughly, not just a mere wipe so it 'looks ok'.

Thanks for clarifying that, @aart! Goodness, just about every time I learn something, or think I've learned something, I find out there's a caveat or a corollary to it! I will never stop learning here, that's for sure! :barnie Oh, and thanks for posting the video again! :bow

@NHMountainMan - practice a time or two without the egg. Just rap your knuckles on the stove top. Tap! Tap! Then try it with the egg and see how that works. Hold the egg lightly, loosely, between fingers and thumb, not snug in your palm. Tap! You can do it!
Thanks for the advice- I’ll keep trying since I certainly won’t stop cooking!

Back
Top Bottom