Newbie from Michigan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by zephyrcreek, Feb 19, 2009.

1. zephyrcreek

zephyrcreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Yale, Michigan
    Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie from the Michigan Thumb. I grew up on a farm not far from my current home. We raised meat birds and laying hens for most of my childhood. My husband and I bought property and built a house a few years ago and it was always my intention to have chickens again...but finnishing the house, building the horse barn, and two young children just did not leave much time. After the crash of the economy last year I am now out of a job, and have plenty of time to get started, finally!!!! I was so excited to find this site.

My goal is too provide as much of my families food supply by either raising it myself, or buying from other local farmers. I also plan to sell locally, and have had a great deal of interest. My largest concern is staying within the government guidlines. I have found a local mentor that has offered to help me. YEAH!!

Last year I doubled my garden space and added raised beds. I hope to increase it again this year, and hopefully have most of the kinks worked out. I also added an herb garden last Mothers Day. I produced much more than my small family could use fresh, and plan to dry this years excess for year round use. My plans this year are to have a small laying flock (6-12 birds), raise and sell meat birds, raise a few Thanksgiving Turkeys, and purchase a breeding pair of rabbits. I also hope to add a few Ducks into the mix in the fall or next spring. In other words, I'll have my hands full!! [​IMG]

Ellen
    Zephyr Creek Farms

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Welcome Ellen!

join us over on the Michigan thread for sure, if you haven't already!
    Michigan Thread

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Great to have you here!

You've got a great goal with providing for yourself. Chickens sure is a perfect part of the plan!

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG]

5. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Ellen! Glad you found us here. Lots of great information and great people too! Sounds like you got your hands full all right. Great plan!

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

7. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

8. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    Hi there fellow Michigander!!! I hope you escaped the snow today. We got a few flurries today where I live. I am ready for spring. I think I have chick fever after seeing all these cute chic pics on here lately!!!

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG] from another Michigander.

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

10. triker

triker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2008
    marlette michigan
    welcome ellen im in marlette just around the corner from you.thanks ron

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by