Newbie from South Australia

Hi there! I'm located down in the Upper South-East. We're renting a very old little stone cottage on a farm while we start building our house (and chicken run complex) on our plot right next to the lake. I have 10 big girls, I think 4 roos, 3 bantam girls and my partner has an absolute a@$ehole of a silkie roo. What are your hens?
A Barnevelder, an Australorp and two gorgeous bitsas. Love the South East. So beautiful down there!

A Barnevelder, an Australorp and two gorgeous bitsas. Love the South East. So beautiful down there!
I just found your thread - quite a bit of reading to do there! But have enjoyed the first few pages so far.

I love it here too - the weather is usually more mild than elsewhere. Before our two children came along we used to take our canoe across the Coorong and walk over the dunes to the ocean. When the kids are older we'll get back to it.

I just found your thread - quite a bit of reading to do there! But have enjoyed the first few pages so far.

I love it here too - the weather is usually more mild than elsewhere. Before our two children came along we used to take our canoe across the Coorong and walk over the dunes to the ocean. When the kids are older we'll get back to it.
I've done that from the Ngarrindjeri cultural centre! It was brilliant. We ate pigs face weeds and pipis, and the guide was great company.

The whole thread is a very long read. You could just jump in at the end, although it's a little sad at present because on Monday, Peggy the hen squashed a hatching chick and killed it. I'm still waiting on the last egg to hatch.

I also leave comments on Ribh's d'coopage thread (she's up in Queensland), BY Bob's Fluffy Butt Acres thread (he's in Pennsylvania but a few of us Aussies read and chat there), and sometimes Shadrach's thread about ex battery hens.

Running late today, our present temperature is 4 F at 8:45pm, going down to below zero but, hey that's winter around here. We had 3 very mild winters and now Mother Nature, wants to get even with us. :confused:
I'd happily swap with you at the moment - we're having a very warm oppressivley humid week when our summer heat is usually quite dry. This also happens to be our second unusually cool summer in a row so I'm sure we're in for an absolute scorching next summer 🥵. I will hopefully have our new coop done by then which is being designed to help keep my birds cool (i.e. solar powered fans, mister system, grape vines overhead etc)

I've been keeping chickens for a few years now and have gone to the backyard chicken forum so often but never actually joined until today. I have Salmon Faverolles (my absolute favourite breed), French wheaten Marans and Buff Sussex, and Welsh Harlequin ducks. I am in the planning stage for a very beautiful chicken run and can't wait to start sharing the progress once we get underway with it
Hi! I'm from Australia too! Welcome to BYC!
You have Faverolles!? I really want some o' them! Do you have any photos?

These are a couple of my young girls and one of my cockerels.

Attachments

• 20220126_194112.jpg
    20220126_194112.jpg
    749.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220126_194134.jpg
    20220126_194134.jpg
    701.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220126_194236.jpg
    20220126_194236.jpg
    863 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom