Newbie has a sick hen....

Mskatu

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 31, 2014
Delta, BC, CANADA
First off, I love this site! It has helped me build my coop from recycled materials, learn (what I thought was) lots about keeping layers....and the forums have been so helpful!

I got my first 5 hens from a a couple who were down sizing their flocks. Didn't know what I know now! anyhow, one of the girls from the get-go seemed to be weak.....I have had them now 3 weeks...and this one little lady has been in quarantine for a week. I noticed after one week of having her her comb was really pale and she wasn't thriving as the others were. She looked like she had a cold in her eye, goop on her nare.....after a few more days she started staying in the roost area, on the floor. I gave her special care taking mash, liquids etc to her. But after a few days of that (one week ago) I decided to put her in a large dog cage and bring her inside so I could care for her better....the coop has a penned in run and a two story coop not great for nursing sick girls.

Anyhow, I got some antibiotics for her, made sure she was clean, and basically kept a very close eye on her. Her eye/sinus area on the one side blew up like a balloon, and I thought I was going to lose her, but then, it cleared right up. She was eating really well, drinking lots....and then I noticed the #$%#$ mites! So began the treatment of those....yesterday, I was thinking she would be ready to go back to the coop with the others as her face looked great, eyes clear (although skin saggy a bit after all the swelling).....then this morning, her other eye swelled up!

She has not been scratching at her eye(s), has not been sneezing, coughing or showing other sickly signs. I read about the eye worms, the other diseases she may or may not have.... Today I did take her outside in the cage to let her get some real air...it has been so rainy here for 2 weeks. The other girls look amazing! When I got them, they were kind of raggy looking. But the girls in the runn/coop have gorgeous looking combs and great sleek looking feathers.

Because it was so rainy and mucky out, after a week or so of letting the grass go with the girls, I decided to add about 6 inches of river sand to the run, and now their legs and feet look great. The coop is clean and dry and gets de-pooped quite often.

So, my question, when can I let sicky back in with the others? I did not give antibiotics to the others, just to her. Today is day 8 on them. I didn't want to give them to the others or risk her getting hurt by the others.

Ideas?

Thank you!

She may have had an injury in or near her eye. In any case, you do need to treat all the birds as awell as the coop for mites. It's unlikely that only one hen has them, even if you don't see them on the others at the moment. It takes two rounds of an insecticide such as permethrin or Sevin, ten days apart, plus treating the coop and changing out the litter each time, because eggs won't be killed and will have hatched in 10 days.

I'm not sure what you can get in Canada, but if they have Adams flea and tick spray, it will work fine.

It sounds like she might have a respiratory infection. Goopy eyes and nose sound like an infection to me. Birds are carriers for life if exposed and the stress of rehoming probably triggered it. As for what type I am not sure. Maybe somebody else can chime in. But treating for mites is a good way to start.

Mites should be treated or dusted for with Sevin or permethrin every 7 days to get the hatched eggs, plus coop and nest boxes must be emptied and disposed of. treated with a permethrin spray, then clean bedding applied Lice is every 10 days.

Last edited:
Thank you!
It has been icky weather, so I have been treating the poor girl inside. found a recipe for mite spray, will see how that works! As for her illness, how long should I keep her isolated??

Gorgeous day finally! Little Miss Sicky is with the flock and enjoying the sun. I am hopeful behaving like a chicken and not being penned up will help her recovery more. Added a vita pack to the water for everyone, got some treats for the girls, did an extra cleaning in the coop....she is definitely the small one in the crew!

So in to the coop and run the little girl went today. After a few hours, I came back to feed some treats and greens from the garden. The usual suspects came up first, and as I was crouched down and talking to them, little sicky comes running up to me, and snuggles in to me! The others did stop for a sec to look, and went back to their munching. Later on after I had been gone for a while, wanting to see what would happen around dusk.....all the girls minus sicky were tucked in the coop.....3 up roosting, one on the landing by the nesting boxes, and little miss sicky outside...alone on the cauliflower. Sad. I went in, scooped her up, and walked her up to the small door and popped her in......at least she will be inside on the main floor on the pine shavings and not outside. She has always been the odd girl out...since their first day here.....

Right! Lesson(s) learned! Saw she had a small peck that drew blood on her comb.....ugh! So, I took the dog crate and placed on the bottom level of the coop where it is covered and safe....and have reinstated her quarantine....but in the coop to keep her safe. Thank goodness for BYC and the wealth of knowledge and experience here!

I have tried for most likely, way too long to help this little hen thrive. She rebounded for a while, but ultimately, since I got her ( 6 months ago) this poor little thing has always looked ill. I am fairly certain she is blind in one eye, she cannot dust bathe, sort of preens....and has been protected by the other girls most of the time. Over the last months I have had to clean her poor little vent area so many times.......she has been covered in mites and just is always so sickly. Some days were good.....but not many. Even after weeks of spa treatment (the best I could giver her) she is now worse...she has not come out of the coop in a week and has lost weight.

Tonight I took her from the coop....tonight she will roost in perpetually sunnier and pest free places..........

Happy roosting little one.

Back
Top Bottom