newbie has two roosters one hen

AceGottaChicken

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 17, 2014
I have 3 silkies and the title says it all. Should I separate the roosters? They have "crow-offs" every morning lasting about 20 minutes. Not fighting

welcome-byc.gif
Then maybe you should let the roos board together, and separate the lady and get her some girlfriends.

I have 3 silkies and the title says it all. Should I separate the roosters? They have "crow-offs" every morning lasting about 20 minutes. Not fighting
I wouldn't be worrying about all the crowing going on...I'd be worried about that poor hen!!! Even if you had just one roo, with one hen she will get bred to death, poor thing.

How many hens do I need? I was thinking about 3 each roo? I can house 8 of these guys easily. In 2 separate runs if need be. But they are NOT fighting so far. They were living in the same cage when I bought them as a male female pair....they seem to get along until it's time to crow lol.

How many hens do I need? I was thinking about 3 each roo? I can house 8 of these guys easily. In 2 separate runs if need be. But they are NOT fighting so far. They were living in the same cage when I bought them as a male female pair....they seem to get along until it's time to crow lol.
You don't want any more than 1 roo for every 10 hens. If your two roos aren't fighting yet...trust me...they soon will be. For now? I'd be separating those 2 roos from that little hen...give the gal a break! Get some more ladies to introduce into your flock, then depending on which roo you choose to keep, send the other one to freezer camp.

The 1:10 ratio (often miscited/misapplied to a BYC scenario), comes from commercial poultry operations, it is about achieving high fertility rates....and it usually applies to when there are 100's of birds together.

Often breeders house trios(1:2), quads(1:3) etc, etc, together without problems.

Depends on lots of variables.

Multiple roosters can cause problems, always best to have separate pens ready in case you need to isolate one or more birds.
To address the excessive crowing issue, you may have to house one of the roosters out of sight/sound of both the other rooster and hens.

I can do quads bit there's no possible way I can have 22 chickens. Id have to get rid of them all. I can't move 22 chickens every 3 months or so....to many cages. I live on a thoroughbred horse racing track year round and travel with the horses. They have to fit in the trailer with the horses and the cat.

Should I be re homing my chickens? Cuz we are moving in about 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I don't mind the crowing, no none seems to mind it. I was just wondering if that's a sign of trouble to come. I well separate the guys from the lady.

In this scenario I would separate the boys from the lady and get at least one more lady friend for the first one :)

You can successfully keep more than one rooster in a flock and you can keep smaller ratios. There are so many variables that it's hard to narrow it down to something you "must" do.

Back
Top Bottom