Newbie here…

leafpeeper

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2023
Coming up on our first anniversary in raising chickens and I am realizing how much I don’t know about caring and feeding them all… When I was a kid, we’d go out and shoot Jackrabbits and they would eat everything but the teeth and tails… We’d give them the heels of bread, bones, dinner scraps or whatever… What they didn’t eat went to the compost pile…
We have 6 Leghorns and they come up to have their butts bounced every time we go into their coop. (We aren’t allowed a rooster) They are laying just fine with their scratch and pellets but I would like to be able to give them more of our scraps if possible and reduce the amount of money we spend on feed… Is growing micro greens for them a good or bad thing…??? There’s SO MUCH FAKE information out there that I want to make sure that I don’t hurt them…

Welcome! Just a heads up, you are going to get a mixed bag of strong opinions from either side of the argument with that one.
prepare black sails GIF by STARZ

Last edited:
Coming up on our first anniversary in raising chickens and I am realizing how much I don’t know about caring and feeding them all… When I was a kid, we’d go out and shoot Jackrabbits and they would eat everything but the teeth and tails… We’d give them the heels of bread, bones, dinner scraps or whatever… What they didn’t eat went to the compost pile…
We have 6 Leghorns and they come up to have their butts bounced every time we go into their coop. (We aren’t allowed a rooster) They are laying just fine with their scratch and pellets but I would like to be able to give them more of our scraps if possible and reduce the amount of money we spend on feed… Is growing micro greens for them a good or bad thing…??? There’s SO MUCH FAKE information out there that I want to make sure that I don’t hurt them…
Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom