newbie-in EVERY way...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BBK, Apr 14, 2009.

1. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    Hi, I'm new here and new to chicks. We bought 6 of'em from TSC Saturday. they're in the sunroom, in a tote.
    [​IMG]

we were hoping they would be RIRs....but after reading a LOT of the posts, they may be Red STARS?
    Can you tell at this stage?
    thanks for the help.
    melinda

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Can't help with the question but,
    [​IMG]

3. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    [​IMG]
    Hi! I don't think they are RIR's, but they are cute! Read everything you can find on here about chicks, it will be very helpful-and within a week, you will be a BYC addict! Trust me-I know! ETA: Do you have a heat lamp on them? The way they are huddled together makes me think they might be cold.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
  4. scalaway

scalaway Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Ohio
    Red Stars look a LOT like RIR's, we've had several--the Red Stars seem to be a little "meatier" ---- sure are cute [​IMG]!

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN
    They look alot like the RIRs that Ive hatched this year.

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    [​IMG] They don't look my RIRs but I am by no means an expert. ANd I agree they may need a heat lamp they seem alil huddled...or they could be camera shy [​IMG]

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    With the plastic tote though keep an eye out and make sure they don't get too hot,,,If they are as far from the heat lamp and/or panting back out the lamp or move outta the sun.... And above all else HAVE FUN with them... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Poultry Palace

Poultry Palace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Live Oak, Florida
    They look like they might be golden sex links. Look just like a friends golden comet chicks. I'm not an expert though, just thought i'd offer a guess.[​IMG]

9. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    thanks for the welocme and the help...

We do have a heat lamp, i think they're just afraid of me getting close to take the pic....that was the first day they were here....

We now have one jumping out of the tote, calling him
    Evil-Cluck-Nevil...LOL and 2 more perching on the edge...ut-oh..I need to find a piece of hardware cloth...

thanks.
    Melinda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by