Newbie Introduction from Alaska!

sarahtrg

Hatching
Sep 1, 2019
Hi everyone! I'm Sarah and I live in Alaska... I've owned every sort of animal out there except for chickens and I'm looking to change that! I'm wanting to become a "backyard chicken owner" and keep a few hens for egg-laying purposes only. So I have a lot to learn and discover!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am new to OWNING chickens but I have cared for and been around my friend's and family's chickens.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Zero as of now!
(3) What breeds do you have?
n/a (I'm researching hardy chicken breeds that will be able to stand up to Alaska's harsh weather and have already gotten some great advice from local Alaskan chicken owners.)
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Well, I hope my favorite aspect will be getting delicious, cruelty-free eggs to eat! As well as interacting with my chickens; I love their personalities and think they are wonderful pets too!
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Well, along with getting chickens, I'm working on setting up a garden space (flowers and vegetables) for next year. I create collages and art journal in my spare time as well as read, watch a variety of sports, run, swim and do yoga.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I'm going to be 34 years old this month, I live in a small cottage on my family's property (they own a large B&B) with my elderly yellow lab named Mumble. I'm a freelance writer, blogger as well as a remote personal stylist.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC via a recommendation just recently!

Hi everyone! I'm Sarah and I live in Alaska... I've owned every sort of animal out there except for chickens and I'm looking to change that! I'm wanting to become a "backyard chicken owner" and keep a few hens for egg-laying purposes only. So I have a lot to learn and discover!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am new to OWNING chickens but I have cared for and been around my friend's and family's chickens.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Zero as of now!
(3) What breeds do you have?
n/a (I'm researching hardy chicken breeds that will be able to stand up to Alaska's harsh weather and have already gotten some great advice from local Alaskan chicken owners.)
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Well, I hope my favorite aspect will be getting delicious, cruelty-free eggs to eat! As well as interacting with my chickens; I love their personalities and think they are wonderful pets too!
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Well, along with getting chickens, I'm working on setting up a garden space (flowers and vegetables) for next year. I create collages and art journal in my spare time as well as read, watch a variety of sports, run, swim and do yoga.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I'm going to be 34 years old this month, I live in a small cottage on my family's property (they own a large B&B) with my elderly yellow lab named Mumble. I'm a freelance writer, blogger as well as a remote personal stylist.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC via a recommendation just recently!
waving-hi.gif
FarmCon5354BYC999.jpg

Back
Top Bottom