Newbie looking for a Starter Set

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by dbullock, Apr 2, 2008.

1. dbullock

dbullock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Sumner, MS
    I am new to the forum and would like to find 5-8 laying hens (brown eggs) in N. Mississippi. I have been checking the local advertisements with no luck. I noticed several people from the area on the forum and was hoping for some direction. I would like to find some barred rock, RIR or Wyandottes. My wife is picking the breeds based their appearance. That was the only way I could talk her into getting the hens. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Hi! Welcome to BYC!
    Hmmm... if your wife is choosing by appearance and you want good layers... Have you looked at black australorps. They are excellent layers and are really pretty. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. dbullock

Apr 2, 2008
    Sumner, MS
    As difficult as it has been finding any hens, I am not going to be too picky. I just do not want to start with chicks at this point.

4. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    look in the farms market ad on the ms ag site.

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I'm over here in Tupelo but I just sold about 175 laying hens and some roosters so all I have left is some production red chicks. They are about 3 or so weeks old. Welcome aboard.

6. dbullock

Apr 2, 2008
    Sumner, MS
    I have been checking the market bulletin. There never seems to be anything close to me. I went and picked up 6 dominique pullets. I am still looking for some laying hens but only a couple. Thanks for the help.

7. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

The market bulletin is the way to go for healthier birds, you are going to pay more but get better animals in the long run.

8. alabama girl

alabama girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Auburn, Al
    Hi,
    I have some good looking wyandottes, blue laced red, blue (dark and light) month and a half almost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by