Newbie mallard duckling mom-Need guidance!

It’s a shame when someone comes for help and they get attacked. Very sorry @prima808 , What are your plans for these littles when the grow in their adult feathers? They will most likely be attached to you and won’t survive in the wild.
Yeah, it does feel a bit crappy. Pretty much makes me just not want to bother asking or looking for any more help on here. There's just nicer ways to say things you know? Anyways, it was never my intention to be raising these guys, but letting them die was not an option. I suppose I'll try sanctuaries again, but until then I'm doing my best & doing everything I can to give them the best. I already spent $130 btwn Tractor Supply & the hardware store just yesterday.

Last edited:
This is one of those times that “letter of law “ and “spirit of law “ are applied. The eggs would not have hatched without being taken in . Raise your ducklings and be happy. The Feds have a lot more important things going on right now. It is like White Bass and hybrid Stripped Bass. Hybrids have to be much larger to keep than Whites. A game warden told me that since it takes a marine biologists to tell the difference he won’t care if you have one or two hybrids mixed in with your load of little white bass. Load the boat with hybrids and it’s a different story. The point is each one of us breaks Federal, State, and local laws every day, many of which we are not aware of.

This is one of those times that “letter of law “ and “spirit of law “ are applied. The eggs would not have hatched without being taken in . Raise your ducklings and be happy. The Feds have a lot more important things going on right now. It is like White Bass and hybrid Stripped Bass. Hybrids have to be much larger to keep than Whites. A game warden told me that since it takes a marine biologists to tell the difference he won’t care if you have one or two hybrids mixed in with your load of little white bass. Load the boat with hybrids and it’s a different story. The point is each one of us breaks Federal, State, and local laws every day, many of which we are not aware of.
Thank you Texag87 for you positive feedback. I’ll do whatever it takes to provide them the best life possible! ❤️

Try a mash with warm water and crumbles an keep their water close to the by. Also you could make a cover for your tote if it has a lid by cutting it and putting some type of screening or hardware cloth so they have ventilation. It’s amazing how high those little things can jump. And of course they are going to want to be close to their adopted mama! ❤

You don't have to be a biologist to know that stealing wild duck eggs is wrong. The mother could come back at any time, the proof is that the eggs hatched. Its clear you have no respect for the law but i should probably mention you need to cut off their back toe.

I would wet their food a bit. Set one by the water and drop a bit of water on it's beak. Eventually they'll figure it out. What does your brooder setup look like?
Also, are you in the U.S. or U.K.? Because in the U.S. it's illegal to do anything with their eggs, and you'll need to take them to a wildlife rehab. Unless you have a permit
Thanks EverythingDucks, It looks like they’ve already “figured it out”...Lol, and now the mess begins!
Re: brooder setup: Lrg plastic bin sectioned w/2 sides - One side is raised about 3 inches, ideally to keep it dry. They hop on to it w/no problem. This side also has a 75watt bulb clamped on. I have 2 digital thermometers reading around 90F. The other side is where I placed a feeder & water on top of a wire mesh insert inside a paint tray in hopes that all the mess & water should fall thru. I have doggie pee pads lining the entire bottom of the tub.

You want one side warm the other side cooler so they have a choice. Waterer
37DA97B2-5AD6-48DF-91F4-64ED62B3B283.jpeg

I feel like I did my due diligence here, and am proud I saved & hatched 3 healthy ducklings.
Good job that you saved them. You obviously tried to go through the correct channels. And people have been way overreacting. But, a quick sentence at the beginning of your question explaining how you came to have wild duck eggs in your possession would have helped stop people from getting up in arms. As it is, your first post made you look like kind of inept. (Sorry :oops:)
Edit: Inept is not the word I was looking for. Too strong. Really sorry 😬)

You don't have to be a biologist to know that stealing wild duck eggs is wrong. The mother could come back at any time, the proof is that the eggs hatched. Its clear you have no respect for the law but i should probably mention you need to cut off their back toe.
Just a little backstory for those making accusations & assumptions. This nest was located on our property btwn our AC unit & foyer. I did not go into the wild looking to hijack eggs. I wished the mother WOULD come back. We’d already had a live cam w/motion detector capturing footage of the mother nesting for 15 days. Following the possum incident, almost 48hrs had passed w/night temps reaching mid 40s, before bringing them in AS INSTRUCTED TO DO SO. Also during that time the cam captured EVERYTHING, including the possum coming back for seconds & thirds to the unattended nest. For the record, the cam was left to monitor the nest for another full week- No Mother. Had I not intervened, the eggs would’ve certainly been possum dinner that 2nd night. Furthermore, any rehabber willing to come save these eggs would’ve more than welcomed. Alas, these guys were more or less orphaned on my doorstep.
Edit: And they hatched b/c I made an incubator & tended to them day & night for the next 12 days! What a dumb***

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom