Newbie - needing advice re a stubborn broody!

I think the problem is, that you remove her every night. We I put my broodies in the B/B, I leave them in there for four straight days. I tried three, and had them go right back on the nest. So now I go with four straight days. Even then, I had one BO, insist on going back on the nest. She had to do another four, but that finally got her past it. Of course, have feed and water in there with her.
Holy moley...is the OP removing her each night? That is a HUGE NO-NO!!! If this is the case no wonder it's not working...eek!

I will probably get shot down in flames for saying this, but....

Maybe it's just time to let her have her way?

Is there any harm in letting her 'sit' on a nest of plastic eggs for a period of time? Surely she will just cotton on eventually and give up trying to hatch them.

I feel bad for her, with all the stays in isolation, segregated from her friends, and not getting the freedom to range with the others.

Why not just let her sit, lift her off the nest each day to make sure she gets food and water, and let her do her thing in peace?

Just an idea, and probably not the recommended protocol, but keeping her miserable for days on end doesn't sound ideal either.

- Krista

I will probably get shot down in flames for saying this, but....

Maybe it's just time to let her have her way?

Is there any harm in letting her 'sit' on a nest of plastic eggs for a period of time? Surely she will just cotton on eventually and give up trying to hatch them.

I feel bad for her, with all the stays in isolation, segregated from her friends, and not getting the freedom to range with the others.

Why not just let her sit, lift her off the nest each day to make sure she gets food and water, and let her do her thing in peace?

Just an idea, and probably not the recommended protocol, but keeping her miserable for days on end doesn't sound ideal either.

- Krista

The problem with just letting her sit on plastic eggs, is that she may sit there for a couple of months or more, trying to hatch those plastic eggs. And that is not good for her, in any way. She won't eat and get out and move around properly, being broody can be kinda hard on them. If the hen is not sitting on fertile eggs, you are actually doing her a favor, by breaking the broody cycle.

I was getting her out each night, (until I read the reply saying it was a no no!) I was worried the others would bully her is she was away for long periods of time.

Anyway, I put the broody cage in huge pen with the others, right next to the coop and she stayed in for 2 nights.

She's back out now with no signs of broodiness! :celebrate

One of her coop mates has taken her place after refusing to leave the nest this morning and pecking me when I opened the egg door.

Thanks for all the advice.

I need help too. This is my first hatch in a forced air incubator and it's my 22 day and my chick eggs haven't hatched yet
1f629.png
I don't know what to do! I know I've been doing some things
wrong with the eggs but this is my first time, i seperated the eggs. One side are the eggs that might hatch and the other side are the ones that won't. I only heard one little chirp yesterday from my best egg and only two have been wobbling around! They would be perfectly in their little slots at night. And in the morning, their on the ground! They are in a little giant forced air fan incubator! Just someone please give me some advice!
1f62d.png

Last edited:
I was getting her out each night, (until I read the reply saying it was a no no!) I was worried the others would bully her is she was away for long periods of time.

Anyway, I put the broody cage in huge pen with the others, right next to the coop and she stayed in for 2 nights.

She's back out now with no signs of broodiness!
celebrate.gif

One of her coop mates has taken her place after refusing to leave the nest this morning and pecking me when I opened the egg door.

Thanks for all the advice.

YES!! There ya go...all better now! If she turns broody again, back in the broody cage she goes.

Back
Top Bottom