Newbie needs feed help

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Georgia Nana, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Georgia Nana

Georgia Nana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    Although in my "other life" I was a farm girl, the one thing that we did not have was chickens, so I need some help with feed.
    I was always told by my equine and bovine vets to buy the best commercial feed I could get and stick with it...they had the research dept. that developed a quality feed. That worked beautifully with the horses and cows, and now I am seeking help with feeding my new flock of 5 laying hens. We live in Coastal Georgia, so obviously there are not many feed stores around (plenty of kayak, souveneir shops, but only 1 feed store several miles away).
    They sell Nutrena products and I am presently feeding Nutrena laying crumbles, oyster shell, an every other day or so scratch scattered in their pen, cooked butterbeans or peas once or twice a week, the occasional treat of corn on the cob, and slice of bread when I bring them in after their 2hour or so time in the perenniel garden which is rich in grass and bugs.
    #1: Is Nutrena laying feed an acceptable staple food?
    #2: Is there something else that I should or should not be doing?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Nutrena is fine, You are doing a great job, stop worrying. [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!

3. wychickenwrangler

wychickenwrangler Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Northeast Wyoming
    Depending on the age of your flock, I'd say that you've got it under control !!!!!

4. Georgia Nana

Georgia Nana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    THANKS!! You've caused me to take a deep breath...now if I could only get a consensus re: oral 1% ivermectin dosage, I'll really be in good shape!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by