Newbie needs help selecting dual purpose breed

out of the three that you said, i would go with new hampshires. fast growers dual purpose. but not real broody. my suggestion would be cubalayas. slow grower but dual purpose and will get broody and they look good in the yard.

Last edited:
My only issues with Delawares is the color.
I'm trying to avoid white birds as these will be free range and we live way out where the predators roam...and fly.

Currently I'm leaning toward Orpingtons.

How do they compare to Wyandottes or Buckeyes, has anyone had both as free rangers?

Thanks again,

Cory

I love love love my Orps. They are great free ranging, come in many colors, and occasionally go broody. As for delawares- I wouldn't worry about them being white- as long as you keep the young ones covered, the adults are too big to really get picked off. I have a few white rocks (which are smaller) and have never lost one. And we definately have the predators here. I'm by Fall Creek Falls state park.

Quote:
I've had Wyandottes, New Hampshire and Orpingtons.

Our Orpingtons were broodier than Wy's and NHs, and of the three our Wy's were by far the better layers. There's also more meat to our Wy's than the NHs, Wy's and Orps pretty equal meatwise, but the Orps were slower growing.

Quote:
I live in TN... I let my Dels roam and never lost one... but I get what you are saying.

You should think about something like a Barnevelder, then... they are dual purpose, bit pricier, but they are double laced partridge... so back and partridge would be good camo. The buff (I'm assuming you want buff orps) would be just as much a "target" as white, I would think. Unless it is fields of wheat you will be free ranging them. I guess it depends.
I personally love Dels and I really, really like my Barnevelders. They are soft too. It comes down to preferences, I guess.

Where in TN are you?

Quote:
That is the truth!!! They grow fast too. I have had many a hawk fly over and look... one time really low... like I could touch it... but they always decide it can't be done and move on.

I'm in Jackson Co. near Gainesboro.
If you are near Madisonville, there must be two Englewoods in TN.
I really wish the Black Orpingtons were more available here, but I will likely settle for the Buffs, although I'm still reading up and haven't nailed it down yet.

Thanks,

Cory

Back
Top Bottom