Newbie needs help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dooner, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Dooner

Dooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    I have had three laying hens for the last six weeks or so and with the exception of maybe three days I get an egg everynday. The last couple days only got two. I am not real concerned about that unless I need to check for something? I noticed some thin shells recently, today I had a broken egg in the nest. I provide oyster shell all day as well as layer ration. I just started saving shells to dry out, grind and feed back. Should i do anything else?

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I would keep a good eye out and make sure she isn't eggbound. You can gently probe the abdomen being careful to not break an egg internally to check and see if she has an egg in the abdomen. If she isn't lethargic/not eating, it's probably not an issue, though.
    It's also possible someone is eating eggs.
    ALSO, if it's really hot where you are, it could be heat slowing down the laying or the start of a moult.
    If you provide oyster shell and layer feed, that should be all they need on a daily basis.
    Good luck!

3. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Do you know how old they are? If they are a new layer, then they are just working out the kinks in their system. It sounds like you are doing everything that you can to prevent soft shelled eggs. Also, they don't lay every day, and as they age, their production will drop off. All of my girls take at least one day off a week. They are right at a year old at this point. I believe that it takes 26 hours for an egg to develop.

I have gotten a soft shelled egg before when something has startled them pretty badly. I had them out free-ranging one day, and a dog ran into the yard and ran toward the chickens. I was out there and shooed the dog away. One of my hens was startled so badly by this dog that she squatted right then and there and layed a soft shelled egg.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Great advise already. Also look around and make sure they aren't hiding the eggs. Hens are sneaky sometimes.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. The premium laying period is their first year from about 6 months to 1 1/2 yrs for many birds. Of course there are always exceptions.

6. Dooner

Dooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    I found an egg in their sandbox. I bet the thin egg was a quirk, we will have to see. Thanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by