Newbie needs help

Dooner

Songster
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
I have had three laying hens for the last six weeks or so and with the exception of maybe three days I get an egg everynday. The last couple days only got two. I am not real concerned about that unless I need to check for something? I noticed some thin shells recently, today I had a broken egg in the nest. I provide oyster shell all day as well as layer ration. I just started saving shells to dry out, grind and feed back. Should i do anything else?

I would keep a good eye out and make sure she isn't eggbound. You can gently probe the abdomen being careful to not break an egg internally to check and see if she has an egg in the abdomen. If she isn't lethargic/not eating, it's probably not an issue, though.
It's also possible someone is eating eggs.
ALSO, if it's really hot where you are, it could be heat slowing down the laying or the start of a moult.
If you provide oyster shell and layer feed, that should be all they need on a daily basis.
Good luck!

Do you know how old they are? If they are a new layer, then they are just working out the kinks in their system. It sounds like you are doing everything that you can to prevent soft shelled eggs. Also, they don't lay every day, and as they age, their production will drop off. All of my girls take at least one day off a week. They are right at a year old at this point. I believe that it takes 26 hours for an egg to develop.

I have gotten a soft shelled egg before when something has startled them pretty badly. I had them out free-ranging one day, and a dog ran into the yard and ran toward the chickens. I was out there and shooed the dog away. One of my hens was startled so badly by this dog that she squatted right then and there and layed a soft shelled egg.

I agree with the other posts. The premium laying period is their first year from about 6 months to 1 1/2 yrs for many birds. Of course there are always exceptions.

I found an egg in their sandbox. I bet the thin egg was a quirk, we will have to see. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom