Newbie quesrion...normal poop?

mommy25babies

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
My leader of my flock pooped like this all morning.. found a few of them.. I'm use to brown with white cap or the occasional brown slimy ones. Shes eating and drinking.. but does seem a bit less active.. she usually runs for treats etc and she doeant seem interested. But observed her eating and drinking. Shes just resting a lot. But walked around to the patio...and back to the run so other then weird poop not much difference in behavior. Just wondered about poop as I've never seen this kind and want to be super thorough.thanks!

I would get a stool sample checked for worms at my vet's office. If you can't I would treat her for worms with Valbazen or Safeguard paste or liquid goat wormer. If using Safeguard I would dose her at 25 mg per lb and give it for 3 days in a row. Then repeat in 10 days for 3 days in a row. This would be treatment for cecal worms which can cause blackhead. Grabbing her off the roost at night would be the easiest method. Keeping her in a cage for 1 day, you could note how her other bowel movements look. If you could get the stool sample tested you would know exactly what worms she has, if any. Does she have any other symptoms such as poor appetite, lethargy, puffing up with her head tucked in, that might look like coccidiosis?

Last edited:
Poop like that would worry me, too. I would definetly worm with something like Safeguard or Valbazen and I'd also consider treating for blackhead with metronidazole (Flagyl), which you can purchase online as Fish-Zole 250mg tablets and Meditrich 100mg tablets, or you can buy it at Petsmart as API General Cure, just check the back of the box and verify that it has 250mg metronidazole (it also has 75mg praziquantil, but that's okay).

-Kathy

Which safegaurd worming would I use? They have specifically for chickens? And blackhead? Is something separate? So treat for two conditions?

I would treat the sick one with the preventative dosing of wormer, plus the metronidazole, just then worm all of the others with a 1 day wormer dose, and repeat theirs in 10 days. The three day dosing is for blackhead.

Back
Top Bottom