Newbie quesrion...normal poop?

Thanks kathy this is so helpful! Can you give me specifics for dosage I bought this and about to get the metrondazole for blackhead treatment.

When I treat for blackhead I give Safeguard at 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds), so for an average RIR hen that would be 1.5ml once by mouth and repeat in ten days. To calculate dose - weight of chicken in kg times .5 (50mg is .5ml) = dose in ml. For example: A 2.7kg hen would be - 2.7 X .5 = 1.35ml

Safeguard is a very safe product and the chances of you overdosing are slim to none, I'm just really anal/OCD when it comes to this.
big_smile.png

Metronidazole doses vary... Some books say 30mg/kg, some say 25mg/kg twice a day, some vets say 60mg/kg once a day, others 60mg/kg twice a day and some people on BYC say to give 250mg to and an average sized chicken. I've done all of the above at one time or another, so if you're getting the API General Cure powder you could give it all at once or divide it in half and give it twice a day, either would be fine. One thing that all of the above doses have in common is that they are *always* given for five days.

Does that help?
Kathy

Ok I purchased both..and that was extremely helpful. I appreciate your wealth of information. My chicken thanks you!!

Ok kathy ..last question.. the general cure came with ten packets. For 100 gallons of water..how do I ration.. add a packet of powder to water? Or how do I dose it?

Does the back of the box list 250mg metronidazole and 75mg Praziquantil? If so, just mix about half a pack in a small amount of water then you could syringe feed it to her. They will not drink it is it's in the water.

She's already improved.. don't know if it was the electrolytes I fed her or the first dosages but she's eating and drinking.. and I offered her favorite treat fresh yogurt I make and she's eating it. Good sigh..and her bowels changed a little solid.. and no more yellow just a small amount of clear discharge with brown goop. Shes in the garage until tomorrow

She's already trying to escape.. that's the meg I know...not the lethargic meg who doesn't eat yogurt !?! Lol :)

Back
Top Bottom