Newbie question - duck droppings

valsey

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Is the consistency of duck poo supposed to be pretty loose? For instance, looser than chicken poop? This is my first attempt at duck rearing and I know that poop is a good indicator of some health issues. Just want to know what to look for.

Thank you

Yes it can be
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks - but is that the norm? Looks loose to me, but I'm used to chickens...

Duck poop can be pretty much anything and it's perfectly fine. It can vary widely based on what they are eating, how much they're drinking, what mood they're in, and whether it's sunny out (ha!). About the only thing all duck poop has in common is that it's gross.

Watery is fine. I don't worry about my ducks unless they start acting strange. Hope that helps!

Feed watermelon and then notice the duck poop... nasty LOL

The only consistency we have here is usually at least one of the three girls will poop a big ol nasty poop as soon as I let them out of the duck house in the morning. Sometimes it is a huge pile/mound, other times it is a nasty huge puddle. But every day, somebody poops as soon as they get out of their house.

my babies have been getting outside in this nice weather...they think its great to eat tons of mud and then poop out nasty black charchoaly looking stuff...now thats gross
sickbyc.gif
, or give them loads of peas, you will have bright green poop
lau.gif

the worst is giving them gold fish or eggs... then it's the absolute most stinky poo you'll ever encounter!

Pretty much any color, consistency, and smell is normal, unless you notice-

It's always (every time) nothing but white or clear water, looks to have blood in it (but you might have to put on some gloves to do the inspecting, eating tomatoes can look like blood), or if it's always really slimy black colored (unless you know they've been eating dirt... but it should be too slimy then) ... those are usually the only bad signs. Otherwise, it's just a random mixture of number 2 and number 1 coming out at the same time.

Last edited:
They start pooping as soon as I walk into the shed to lock them up at night....all 7 of them one after the other.

Really loud farting noises and then poop. Sometimes it's very loose other times not so much. It never looks like chicken poop though.

Our duck's poop is different consistencies all the time. Different colors, different amounts.
It occurs to me that I spend an inordinate amount of time inspecting poop. Ducks, dogs, horses, goats, rabbit guinea pigs, chinchilla, cats. Sheesh. I am always looking for too much, too little, too runny, weird colors, weird things in it (dogs mostly). I do have a full life:idunno

Back
Top Bottom