Newbie Question: Keeping Ducks w/ Slow Moving Creek??

MattDana

Hatching
Apr 12, 2018
Hello Everyone, new to the group for the purpose of research and getting answers from those with experience.

My wife and I have a small creek in our back yard. Its only about 15 ft wide, has a nice swimming hole in our spot that's several feet deep.
Below the swimming hole is a series of waterfalls, and above our swimming hole is a long riffle run that's only a few inches deep in summer.

Ive read that we can 'imprint' the ducks from a young age.
I've also read that we can habituate ducks from a young age to return to the coop nightly.
Our question is will this habitat in the creek provide a great spot for them to spend their days, or will they disappear.

Obviously it is easy to speculate either way, so we are really seeking the advice of someone whom has experience with these particular circumstances, or failing that perhaps those that have kept free range laying ducks on a larger body of water ie lake or pond.

Look forward to any advice!

Kind Regards,

Matt & Tmana Dana

We have your set up and have lost one duck to a coon and one to a hawk in the last 3 months. You will have to herd them into the coop at night they will not go in on there own. I think as long as there is no big body's of water around. They should stay as long as you feed them and they like there coop to sleep in.

Hello Everyone, new to the group for the purpose of research and getting answers from those with experience.

My wife and I have a small creek in our back yard. Its only about 15 ft wide, has a nice swimming hole in our spot that's several feet deep.
Below the swimming hole is a series of waterfalls, and above our swimming hole is a long riffle run that's only a few inches deep in summer.

Ive read that we can 'imprint' the ducks from a young age.
I've also read that we can habituate ducks from a young age to return to the coop nightly.
Our question is will this habitat in the creek provide a great spot for them to spend their days, or will they disappear.

Obviously it is easy to speculate either way, so we are really seeking the advice of someone whom has experience with these particular circumstances, or failing that perhaps those that have kept free range laying ducks on a larger body of water ie lake or pond.

Look forward to any advice!

Kind Regards,

Matt & Tmana Dana
Hi, we have had ducks for on property with a brook behind our house for years. 300 ft along water is lawn and trees with all underbrush kept cleared out - all else is woods. I am relatively new to the internet so bear with me,this is my first response to anyone and i'll figure out pictures later. Yes it's a great spot for ducks but it takes a little work, we kept last ducks (6) in a big run attached to their house for 2 months before letting them loose. This way they know where their home and safe place is along with going in for the night at a certain time. That said, it took them 4 days before they dared to get into the brook, they have a plastic pool filled everyday inside the run so they're used to swimming. You may have to urge them out of the water sometimes, i find tossing a rock in water behind them or in the bushes across the brook works well to get them started. On land a long stick helps herd them, just take it slow and easy and they'll go in for the night. I have contained these last ducks to the brook behind the house using caution tape stretched across the brook about a foot off the water up and down stream (with neighbor's consent on the other side) but that's another story. Hope i have been of some help

We've had pekin and ancona for 5 years and have only lost one to a predator, i'm sure our duck friendly german shepherd has something to do with this along with them being locked up every night. We live in northern maine so they're kept in the run from late fall til late spring when the brook quits flooding. They spend about half the time hanging out in backyard anyway but once we got them in a routine they come out of the brook or where ever they are and into their house every night. It's usually close to dark so sometimes we hurry things along to lockup a little early but really don't have too many problems. I also have a light on a timer til 10pm in their house, don't know if it helps the ducks but we like it this way.

Back
Top Bottom