Newbie signing in

ml143333

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Good morning all!

I have been reading the site for a bit now and wanted to join. We have 8 babies since this past Sunday. We have 4 RIR, 3 Plymouth Rock and 1 Leghorn. The Leghorn is 2 weeks old and the others are a week old.

I can already see how addictive this is and am holding off on getting an Easter Egger. I want one and have a line on one, but don't know if I want to introduce anyone new right now.

The chicks so far all are healthy and seem to be doing what is normal for them. The leghorn is definitely the momma of the bunch. The RIRs all flock under her most of the time when they are nesting.

Man...they are all eating machines, aren't they? We have them in a brooder in the bathroom in our bedroom. They still have the heat lamp on since they are so young. We play with them several times a day to socialize them. So far, we have names for three. The Leghorn is Big Momma. The littlest RIR (my avatar) is Blossom and one of the Plymouths is Tiger.

When we aren't loving on them, we find ourselves just watching them in the brooder.

Our coop should arrive tomorrow and my husband will start putting it together, but we don't plan to put them out for several more weeks. They are still so young and I have to admit that I like having them inside. Crazy, huh?

I look forward to being a member of the site.
ya.gif

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sounds like you are really enjoying your new babies! You are doing a great job at raising them as well. Great that you are handling them too. This will tame them up well and by the time they are ready to go out to the coop, they will have really bonded with you. You will have some sweet hens as well. Oh, and nothing better than Chick TV! Hard to stop staring into the brooder! LOL And if you think they are eating machines, they are also pooping machines too! LOL

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on all the aspects of raising poultry...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new journey you are on! Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the coop build and the new babies! They are a lot of fun aren't they, you know people do have full time house chickens! Not to be an enabler here, but it is a lot easier to introduce new chicks/chickens when they are really young and about the same age if you are thinking about getting EEs from the same source.

Back
Top Bottom