Newbie- sort of LOL

Katenwoods

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2018
Hello all!
I am new to this site and wanted to say Hi to you all and thanks for letting me join.
I have had chickens multiple times in the past and they are my favorite farm critter. For the last 10 years or so I have been working too many hours and just didn't have either the time nor the space to get and keep birds again. That all changes as of 4/27 (15 working days!) I am retiring! and moving from the Colorado Rocky Mountains back to the Pacific Northwest and a small 5 acre farmstead! Woo Hoo!
And chickens are the first things on my list! Well, ok, after planting some parts of the garden and would be orchard LOL Then comes a decent coop!
So I am here to pick your brains on best coop designs, most reliable layers, how to tell who is laying and who is not! LOL Just all that good chicken stuff!
Thanks for letting me know,
Katenwoods

Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your forthcoming retirement :)

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

I currently have an Orpington, a barred rock, an Austrolorp, a Speckled Sussex, and 2 Ameraucanas! I HIGHLY recommend the Speckled Sussex and Barred Rock as layers! The Orpington and Austrolorp are also quite good, and these Ameraucanas are mediocre. My other Ameraucana was great though! As for friendliness, the Orpington is my favorite! :)

Back
Top Bottom