Newbie- sort of LOL

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Katenwoods, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Katenwoods

Katenwoods In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2018
    Hello all!
    I am new to this site and wanted to say Hi to you all and thanks for letting me join.
    I have had chickens multiple times in the past and they are my favorite farm critter. For the last 10 years or so I have been working too many hours and just didn't have either the time nor the space to get and keep birds again. That all changes as of 4/27 (15 working days!) I am retiring! and moving from the Colorado Rocky Mountains back to the Pacific Northwest and a small 5 acre farmstead! Woo Hoo!
    And chickens are the first things on my list! Well, ok, after planting some parts of the garden and would be orchard LOL Then comes a decent coop!
    So I am here to pick your brains on best coop designs, most reliable layers, how to tell who is laying and who is not! LOL Just all that good chicken stuff!
    Thanks for letting me know,
    Katenwoods

2. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Poppy-Dog

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    :frow Welcome to BYC!!! :woot

3. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your forthcoming retirement :)

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Teila, ronott1, 007Sean and 3 others like this.
  4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Teila, ronott1, 007Sean and 2 others like this.
  5. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Congrats on your upcoming move and being able to get back into chickens!

Katenwoods, Teila, ronott1 and 2 others like this.
  6. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    :yesss:Congratulations on your retirement! :welcome It’s great to have you in the flock :thumbsup

7. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    I currently have an Orpington, a barred rock, an Austrolorp, a Speckled Sussex, and 2 Ameraucanas! I HIGHLY recommend the Speckled Sussex and Barred Rock as layers! The Orpington and Austrolorp are also quite good, and these Ameraucanas are mediocre. My other Ameraucana was great though! As for friendliness, the Orpington is my favorite! :)

8. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy :yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

9. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Reading your introduction was very inspiring! I have two years and 5 months to go until I can retire.

I hope you enjoy the farm in the Pacific Northwest!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Congratulations on your retirement and a soon to be new home. :yesss:

Katenwoods, N F C, Teila and 2 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: