Newbie to Backyard Chickens

lsutigersec

In the Brooder
May 26, 2018
Kennesaw, GA
Hi There,
I'm a newbie to backyard chickens and chickens in general. I've been throughly into dogs and dog rescue, but this is my first venture into chickens. I decided to get some back yard chickens (which are separated from my dogs) for eggs and now I'm head over heels for my chickens! After a week of them foraging in the grass (it's now bare), I decided to buy some planter boxes and grow my own forage that I could rotate in and out of their run. I never had kids so I could be selfish and sleep til 11am if I wanted to, now I find myself waking at 6:40 am every morning to let dogs out and chickens out of their coop. I did buy a prefab coup from the chicken coop company which was easy to put together and has been great so far. We bought a run, and now an another extra run just so the chickens could have more room. I'd love to let them roam free but we have foxes, opossums, coyotes, and hawks! I don't want anything happening to my chickens!! I have 3 production reds and 3 orpington buffs, all are 2-3 months old and none laying yet. Looking for an Ameraucana or something with a blue/green egg to add to my flock and maybe even another coop for them to have plenty of room. Do they really need fake eggs for them to lay in their roosting boxes? We've only had them for 2 weeks but they already eat out of our hands. Just starting, so... Any advice on raising good happy organic chickens and keeping them safe is welcomed!

Here's some pics of my flock and coop! I can't take credit for the coop, it was prefab from the chicken coop company and they did a really nice job as we didn't have the time to make our own.

Attachments

• IMG_5179.jpg
    IMG_5179.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5180.jpg
    IMG_5180.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 5
Welcome BYC has many, many dog folks on here from all persuasions - field, search & rescue, obedience, agility, groomers, handlers, judges,breeders, rescuers(like you) etc.

So glad that you joined the BYC community

Hi and welcome to BYC

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom