Newbie to forum - MITES?!

great dane

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 15, 2012
Hi there chicken fans! I have had chickens for the last 6 years and have so enjoyed fresh eggs and watching them cluck around the property helping with the ticks (hopefully!) I have just realized that 2 of our 8 chickens has feather loss around their back ends and upon further investigation online that this is caused by mites and now have the dubious job of trying to rid our coop and all of the pesky bugs before further damage is done. I feel very overwhelmed by differing information on just what works and doesn't so I'm reaching out today to see if this community can help me. I just bought "Pure Planet" Poultry spray ($13) which has active ingredients of Clove Oil and Cottonseed Oil .5% each. I also watched a You Tube video of a spaying with a very expensive $$ Elector PSP ($150). I am at a total loss but want do not have to spray my whole flock daily! Any help from the world of chicken owners would be greatly appreicated.

Hi there chicken fans! I have had chickens for the last 6 years and have so enjoyed fresh eggs and watching them cluck around the property helping with the ticks (hopefully!) I have just realized that 2 of our 8 chickens has feather loss around their back ends and upon further investigation online that this is caused by mites and now have the dubious job of trying to rid our coop and all of the pesky bugs before further damage is done. I feel very overwhelmed by differing information on just what works and doesn't so I'm reaching out today to see if this community can help me. I just bought "Pure Planet" Poultry spray ($13) which has active ingredients of Clove Oil and Cottonseed Oil .5% each. I also watched a You Tube video of a spaying with a very expensive $$ Elector PSP ($150). I am at a total loss but want do not have to spray my whole flock daily! Any help from the world of chicken owners would be greatly appreicated.
Welcome to BYC! The best thing to try first is permethrin. Go to Tractor Supply, or any feed store and buy a 10% permethrin spray concentrate that is labeled for on poultry. A small bottle should cost less than $10 and will make many gallons.
gordons_4.PNG

gordons_6.png

Edited to add:
gordons_2.PNG

gordons_11.PNG

gordons_7.png

gordons_8.png

gordons_9.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom