Newbie to site, not to chickens

Jay and Mic

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 19, 2014
We have ex-factory layers before, and ex-factory-layers-turned-out-to-be-broilers, which we sold yesterday. Now we're off to get our first real chickens - 10 Lohmanns plus rooster. I think we're getting ripped off, but it all got a bit complicated :)
We live on our farm (breeding cattle) just south of Malmesbury, Western cape, South Africa. We can see Table Mountain form our farm. The chickens have only really been for pest control in our orchard until now, but I'm thinking of growing the operation a bit. I may post pics later.

Jay

We have ex-factory layers before, and ex-factory-layers-turned-out-to-be-broilers, which we sold yesterday. Now we're off to get our first real chickens - 10 Lohmanns plus rooster. I think we're getting ripped off, but it all got a bit complicated :)
We live on our farm (breeding cattle) just south of Malmesbury, Western cape, South Africa. We can see Table Mountain form our farm. The chickens have only really been for pest control in our orchard until now, but I'm thinking of growing the operation a bit. I may post pics later.

Jay

Alright Jay,
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Guinea are the best bug eaters I have ever owned and yes chickens are good but the guinea are so much better at it and tend to stat together when a predator comes around and less likely to be eaten as a result of working together ............

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC, Jay! Sounds like you have a very nice farm. Congratulations on getting chickens. Lohmans are a great Red Sex Link strain; they are egg laying machines. Good luck with your farm.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
You should get some Boschveld indigenous chickens. Fantastic layers, hardy as they come, pretty, and they have a nice temperament... They come up for sale often on Gumtree. Otherwise there's a guy in the Eastern Cape that breeds Australorps, RIR and some others. I got some RIR via someone who bought chickens from him and they're good birds, but they are not cheap. Send me a PM if you want contact details. Good luck with your flock!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! Make yourself at home and welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
from Washington! BYC is the best fowl website you can find.
woot.gif
I hope you feel glad you signed up! In our flock we have great people and it is always great to have a new member:) In our flock, we have no pecking order!

frow.gif

By the way, not saying that you will do anything bad, but no fowl play
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom