Newbie with 3 BSLs and 3 BOs

Giaallen

Chirping
May 10, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Yes we are newbies to this and we got our first chicks 4 weeks ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 6 but one is really struggling.

(3) What breeds do you have? 3 black sex links and 3 buff Orpingtons

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? They are full personality and I just love animals and obviously am excited about the potential for eggs and getting rid of bugs in my yard.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? We have 3 dogs and two teenage boys. Who has hobbies with that much crap going on.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. We are both employed and my husband is retired navy. 3 mutts we rescued and 2 boys. We are an active family and do a lot of outdoor activities. I am originally from Montana and my husband is from Boston and we live in Southern California!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I have an odd situation. A BO we got three weeks ago suddenly could barely stand up on her own. We have baby chicks (they are all about 4 weeks old). Initially I thought she was injured but then within an hour she was laying on her side like a wet noodle. We have had 3 chicks die previously and it happened so fast and was probably cocci related but this seemed different mostly because she’s still alive (this happened Thursday afternoon). We’ve been feeding her mush through a eye dropper along with vitamin water too. I’m not even she what to think. She seems stronger but also isn’t quite able to stand and balance so she sits mostly. For the whole first day we thought she would die like the others because she was so limp and weak and then all the sudden she Seems to have started to gain strength. Not sure what the heck is going on. Her two chick sisters are doing well as are the other 3 BSLs. We have her isolated and just seeing what we can do. Any suggestions? I don’t know want her to suffer for sure but she “seems comfortable”. Thanks so much everyone!!!!

Back
Top Bottom