Newbie with ?????'s

I'm just finishing up my new coop, it's 8x24, I have windows in both 8'ends that will open and on the long sides I am planning on putting soffit under the 1'overhangs with hardware cloth on the inside. My rafters are 2x4, on edge so there is a 1 1/2 " gap. The short side is 5'tall, going up to 8', I figure fresh air will come in from the back and then the warm air will rise and exit on the high side. Surely this is enough venting?
54373_dscn4117.jpg

Quote:
Cindy,

If your rafters are on edge would that not be a 3 1/2" high gap (more or less - does not take into account slope of rafters or any birdsmouth you may have ambitiously cut), which would make the opening something on the order of 6.5 sq ft per side of the coop (exact # depends on rafter spacing etc), times two would be 13 sq ft of vent (plus whatever size the openable portion of the windows will be - but you will not be able to use both of them at the same time year-round, just in the summer and when not too windy) for the entire 8x24 coop.

It's not woefully inadequate, and might work just fine, especially if you don't have too awfully many birds in there and/or clean droppings boards daily. Really there is no way to prescribe these things exactly for *particular* coops, because so many individual circumstances affect ventilation needs. For whatever it's worth, I would say that you are in the zone of "not entirely unreasonable and if it works for you, then great", but not into the zone of "certainly going to have enough no matter what your circumstances", you know?
wink.png
In particular, what you describe would have major heat-buildup problems in hot-summer areas; and might have humidity/frostbite problems in winter, especially if you use the kind of high stocking density that many BYCers do. I do not know where you live but if it is somewhere that gets real cold winters and wind, you may very well find you need to mostly or completely close the long wall-top vents on the upwind wall, thus you might only have like 6.5 sq ft of ventilation available for the *entire coop* in wintertime if you live in the north. That's not a lot, depending of course on #chickens.

IMO it would be an AWFULLY good idea to put a few more windows (at least) in there, for LIGHT as well as airflow. It's pretty dim in there, don't you think? That would also give you more openings on the long walls to use for ventilation purposes when needed and when the wind is from the right (or wrong <g>) direction. Just a thought to consider,

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

You're right Pat, the rafters on edge are 3 1/2, and I or rather my brother did indeed do the "birdsmouth" thing with them, so space is less than that. I don't plan to fill it with chickens, have 16 now ready to go in, giving them 8 - 10 feet at one end, then some Seramas, I have 4 adults now, and 4 chicks and a few Lav Orp eggs in the bator. I do chicken math, so may end up with a few more however. I am in Nova Scotia, doesn't get terribly hot in summer, or cold in winter. I may put one more window in before I put the siding on, I'm on the hunt now for a one so all in all, I think it'll be good. Thanks for your reply, nice to get knowledgable advice.

Back
Top Bottom