Orpington Mamma

In the Brooder
May 24, 2015
I'm a proud mamma of 15 buff Orpingtons. They are 6 weeks old. I'm adding a blue Orpington pullet and a blue splash Orpington cockerel in mid June. They will all be really close in age. I am a first time chicken owner with lots of questions. I hope someone will be able to help me with their chicken knowledge.

frow.gif
HI Orpington Mama, welcome to the flock. You sure picked a great breed. If you have questions, just ask, that is what we are here for. Having said that, I will go take a break and let someone else answer them. Just kidding
gig.gif

Thanks for the welcome. I'm still trying to figure out how to post a question. Not exactly sure where to post.

I was wondering when to introduce a cockerel to my pullets? I have 15 buff orpingtons that are 6 weeks old. I'm getting a blue splash Orpington cockerel mid June and he will be 6 to 10 weeks old. I will know exact age closer to time. I need some advice on when and how I should introduce him to my girls. I'm also getting a blue Orpington pullet the same age as the cockerel. Quarantine information varies depending on who you talk to. Unsure on exactly how long. The blue orps are coming from the same breeder. All advice is greatly appreciated

I was wondering when to introduce a cockerel to my pullets? I have 15 buff orpingtons that are 6 weeks old. I'm getting a blue splash Orpington cockerel mid June and he will be 6 to 10 weeks old. I will know exact age closer to time. I need some advice on when and how I should introduce him to my girls. I'm also getting a blue Orpington pullet the same age as the cockerel. Quarantine information varies depending on who you talk to. Unsure on exactly how long. The blue orps are coming from the same breeder. All advice is greatly appreciated
Welcome! If i were you i would put them in together as soon as they arrived (granting they seem good-natured and don't have any physical conditions/illnesses that could compromise your flock ie. mites, infectious bronchitis etc.) this way they can get acquainted and having them in together before fertile eggs are able to be produced will do o harm, perhaps you could slip him in at night then they can all wake up as friends lol, all joking aside it is ultimately up to you and what you feel comfortable with/ what's suitable for your flock as all animals are unique in their own way and no one exact procedure will work for everyone. The best of wishes!

Thanks so much. You have been very helpful. Being a new owner, I just want to do the right thing so they are all happy and healthy.
1f609.png
1f413.png

Back
Top Bottom