Newborn Chick with lump on its head

It was pecked hard on the head by another chicken and tore the skin. That's where they always get it.. right on top of the noggin.
roll.png
Im still pro broody, I just keep a close eye on the young mothers and other hens that may not know what to do the first time they see a little chick. Usually, once the little ones are a couple days old and everyone is used to them, there isn't a problem. Slap a big hunk of neosporin on it... that's your best shot.

Good Luck, E

Oh, and don't put him in with any other chicks until it is completely healed. His brooder mate for now is a little stuffed animal of some sort... that will keep it from chirping.. constantly.

Well I just wanted to let anyone whos interested know that the little chick is up and standing today. She seems to be getting a little better. We know shes not out of the woods but this is a start and we are very hopeful.

Sorry abour not updating for us long. The little chick held on a good little while but we did end up putting her to sleep. I am still unsure of the cause of it.

i have a chick at the moment who has sort of the same thing i guess. its a lump on the back of the head, but skin and fluff are over the top, intact. i can feel it and am worried i will lose her. she wont put her head up and just wants to sleep, but moves around when hassled a little by the other chicks.

Sorry abour not updating for us long. The little chick held on a good little while but we did end up putting her to sleep. I am still unsure of the cause of it.

Could you give more details than that? Why did you end up deciding to put her to sleep? What has happening that made you choose that? I'm sorry, I just want to understand more about the problem.

Asking because I had a chick not hatch and when I opened the egg to see what happened and how it developed, there was something like what you had here and it looked like the brains were kind of draining out from it (sorry to be so graphic)... Just wondering if this is common, did you try the neosporin... did you see if there was skull matter fully formed under the lump? Sorry I just want to know more to learn more. Did it just start to not do so well on its own? Was it able to eat? Walk? Please give us more information on what occurred. ... sorry to be so nosey, as I said i am just a very curious person who wants to learn for the sake of chicken health.

Back
Top Bottom