Newborns!

Chicka D Mama

Chirping
7 Years
May 2, 2016
Rural northeast Arkansas
This my 3rd season for raising chickens. But mind you, I always bought my chicks from a local farm supply store. I never had a new out of the egg chick to look after and I've no clue what to do! This is how I wound up in this dilemma!
We adopted a female duck. We couldn't find her nest and when we did, she had 9 eggs in it and refused to leave them. She was in her setting mode. So my husband had an idea to remove her infertile eggs with 9 of our chicken eggs which were fertile. I really didn't expect it to work, but he kept up with the number of days. Today was hatch day and there they were, all wet and wobbly standing among 7 broken and rotten hen eggs! Yuck! My husband brought them in and I fixed them a place that is warm and dry. NOW WHAT? Please advise and THANK YOU!
new babies.jpg
new babies.jpg

First and foremost, you need to set up a brooder box with a heat lamp, dry bedding, chick feed and water.
You’ve come to the right spot for all your poultry questions! Welcome to the Flock! :frow We are EGG-cited for you to have joined us! :wee

Yes, first thing they need is heat. A very simple and easy way to provide heat to just two tiny new-borns is to rig up a heating pad, one that will be able to remain on indefinitely instead of shutting off. The temperature provided by a heating pad is very close to a broody hen, as well as the dark, secure comfort it provides. You won't hear these chicks peeping much since they will be content.

Use a sturdy piece of wire fencing shaped into a low arch, secure the heating pad to the concave side (underside) and then slip the entire thing into a pillow case to prevent chicks from wedging in between the frame and the pad. The pad should be low enough to touch the chicks. Think broody hen.

Set the pad on the highest setting. It will be about 100F on the pad and about 85F on the surface beneath.

You need to give these chicks a drink of water as soon as you see them fluffed and dry and standing up. Dip the beaks in water to get them started. They won't need food for a couple days, but you can feed any finely milled all flock feed. It doesn't need to be chick starter.

If you have a heat lamp you can also use that. If they are in the corner of the brooder away from the lamp move it up, and if they are huddled together right under it move it down.

I wasn't on earlier, but I see that as usual good people were able to jump in and help. Thanks for the tag, too, @3riverschick, even though I ended up late to the party.

Either a heating pad or lamp, but as the others have said, get them some heat. Raising them from this point shouldn't be any different than raising the other 3 batches you've raised, except these got a little more chilled at the start. @azygous did a great job of explaining Mama Heating Pad. Keep us posted!

ya'll are so helpful! Thank you all for chiming in. This is such a great helpful community!
More than welcome, Blooie!
Karen

Back
Top Bottom