Newby here-tent brooder

sonew-eggshellsonmyass

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
Hi. I have been scrolling this sight for a few months now learning as much as I can and I have gotten so much from it! We are starting our first flock (ever) next week the day old babies arrive via the post office (so weird). I am doing a tent brooder in a closed off temp controlled room in the house with a brooder plate. I thought this would be a great way for my 14 and 11 yr old (and mom and dad) to bond with them as we can sit in there and let them get used to us (without too much handling of course). Anyone try this brooder method and have any advice?

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I don't ever brood in the house. Chicks are extremely dusty and need copious amounts of fresh air.
When I brooded my second batch of chicks in the built-in brooder in the coop and was acclimating them to the main coop area I would sit on the floor and they would come to me, hop up on my legs and nap.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Congrats on the soon to be new chicks! It's always best to use a brooder with 4 walls and a connected floor to keep the babies in and safe, keeps the temp stable, stops drafts, and keeps other things out. Heat needs to rise and escape, ammonia smell from the poop needs to escape up, oxygen needs to replace the carbon dioxide from breathing, so it's not advisable to keep the top covered with nothing but a screen or wire of some sort. At 1 1/2 to 2 weeks of age they will be flying and zooming, they need to be kept safe. Here is a good article from our Learning Center on brooding babies... https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/brooding-chicks-the-first-6-weeks.74640/

Enjoy this new adventure!

Hi. I have been scrolling this sight for a few months now learning as much as I can and I have gotten so much from it! We are starting our first flock (ever) next week the day old babies arrive via the post office (so weird). I am doing a tent brooder in a closed off temp controlled room in the house with a brooder plate. I thought this would be a great way for my 14 and 11 yr old (and mom and dad) to bond with them as we can sit in there and let them get used to us (without too much handling of course). Anyone try this brooder method and have any advice?
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom