Newby Questions

ppurv326

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 2, 2011
Stevens Point
1. What is the easiest clean up method for a hard bottom cage?
2. what is the best method of feeding? bowl, cup, trough, gravity feeder?
3. How much mess will dust bathing make?
4. 35" L, 16" H, 18" D, thinking of adding two outcoves to the main structure, too much???
5. cuttlebone vs. Calcium Supplements (human crushed)
6. Waterer? Bottle? bowl? etc...

Any answers or recomendations on these topics is very much appreciated, im constructing a custom pen for these Coturnix hens im getting next september, and i wana do the best job i can to give them a long and happy, healthy life.

Keep the birds on wire 1.5in above the floor of the cage and make a pullout pan with newspaper on it. Do everything you can to make the floor not have any shelves or ledges were the poop doesn't fall straight down to the paper\\floor below. The floor below shouldn't be wood below the newspaper.

You don't want them to poop on the feeder\\in the food. I've hung a trough and it seems to be working very well.

Dusting makes a good sized mess. One thing you can do is make it self contained minus an entry.

Oyster shell should be used.

A large waterer is the best hanging in the cage so they don't poop on it.

ok so back to the hard bottom question, scale of 1 to 10 how difficult is clean up with a wood bottom cage? im talking sanded plywood that has been coated with a polyurethane for damage protection, then was planning on a mix of Sweet PDZ with Wood Shaving bedding.

Quote:
ABOUT A 23.7 BY THE 3RD CLEANING AND STILL CLIMBING
smile.png

I wouldn't want to clean hardwood floors. Better for the health of the birds as well to get it away from them ASAP or poop will be everywhere.

Last edited:
Quote:
UMM NOT REALLY. YOU SEE YOUR NOT ONLY GETTING 2 BIRDS, WHAT YOU ARE IN FACT GETTING IS 2 LIL FEATHERED POOP FACTORIES THAT ARE STUCK IN HIGH GEAR
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom