Newby, totally lost....

SGM

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Easley, SC
Ok, I must admit that I am a sucker. I can't hardly bring myself to think about slaughtering or gutting a chicken. Please bear in mind that my husband is as big a wimp at this as I am. We're both wusses at even thinking about it.

Ok that being said I have been thinking about trying it, at least once. So where would you point a complete beginner to learn the ropes about everything from slaughtering to preparing. When I say newbie I mean NEWBIE!!! Ha! I have only recently read about the methods to kill and I'm still unsure about that.

Can you tell I'm terrified at the thought? Any age or type bird who'd be best to learn on? I don't have any meat birds.

I know what you mean, and I congratulate you for being willing to try it!

I've always said I would not be afraid to do it at least once.

I have no advice since I don't have my chickens yet!

I "hope" we can do it. Can't be one I like or I'd never be able to get through it. I don't like the bloody gorey idea of it. I would think it would be better for us to bleed them after we've killed them? Can't watch it run around headless.
sickbyc.gif

My advice to you would be to look local, for someone that has, and is willing to show you how to slaughter a chicken. If you are this nervous...you dont want to make a mistake, and make it suffer, or ruin the meat. Ask around at the farmers market...im sure someone there will have chickens. Good luck, and ...it really isnt that hard. I am headed out to do about 10 of them here in a few. Good luck..and let us know when you do, and how you do!

You're on the right track, you've been reading about it and have asked. Continue on with your research and find some illustrated instructions. Gather up your tools and jump into it with both hands. Don't be afraid of making mistakes, if you do then you will learn from them. Like justusnak said, find someone to help if you can.

I would start with a larger bird for a first time. They are easier to gut since the body cavity is larger. Younger birds are more tender when you cook them. Cornish X would be a good kind to learn on, they are pretty mellow and slow moving, you process them when they are young, and they are larger birds.

I hang mine up by the feet and cut the jugular. They don't flop around on the ground. Killing cones will help restrain them also.

Did 12 this morning. Should have been 14 but two escaped from the holding cell.

Thanks everyone. I know when I get in the right mind set I can do anything. So I imagine that day will come.

When I was learning to disbud goats I watched it done in person first and then had kids ready to be done. I couldn't bring myself to do it. Well one day they made me mad so I caught them and did all 3 in one swing. I was so proud of myself. Just had to get in the right mind set. I wasn't mean to them but I got the job done and done right. I have been able to do the rest of our kids since then. Just took that one time to get me over the fear of doing it.

I haven't butchered lots of birds but one thing I have found is I am fairly disappointed by the amount of meat on the chickens that are not meat birds compared to what you might be getting in the store.
barnie.gif

The taste is great- just a lot of work for not a lot of meat. That is butchering while they are young at 10 to 12 weeks.
hmm.png

I have let them get 5 to 6 months and they are much bigger but tougher to. I'm just saying you might want to wait and raise a meat bird to butcher.
Here are some sights that helped me.
clap.gif

http://thedeliberateagrarian.blogspot.com/2006/08/processing-chickens-with-my-son.html

http://siteupgrade.com/poultry/butcheringpoultryfinal.html

Remember "yummmyyy" Fried Chicken (or what ever your wanting to make) is the end goal.
ya.gif
tongue2.gif

Hey justhatchin you will be disapointed if you process a chicken that is not a meat bird,I've done mine and help friends do both and if you have done roosters that are 5 months old that are layers and with their feathers on they look huge but when you pluck them they look like the road runner conpared to a meat bird.

It's easier to do a mean rooster. There won't be as much meat on it but it makes it easier to do. I had some rooster that would attack my DD and I and also would gang bang my hens so it was easier because I was mad at them.

Had some good dumplings!!

jackie

Back
Top Bottom