Newly adopted cockerel

Ps It's just the camera angle lol ... I didn't realise until you mentioned it
263a.png

Thanks Drumstick Diva
263a.png

Had a fright when he went off Thursday night up one of the massive pine cone trees in the garden ... tried several times to coax him, although couldn't see him. Next morning I was relieved to hear him crow and then whilst tending to the hens, I was worried about him getting down ... needn't have as he floated and landed from about 15 ft as if he'd just jumped off the hen house lol! Will certainly try gently hosing the tree if he does it again! The site is so great ... even fab recipes too!
263a.png

Thanks donrae

All interesting stuff - many thanks to all responses. I don't really care about his breed, just interested ... enjoying viewing many breeds as I go :) Already Abraham is in command and trying to tempt the ex-bat girlies, and one already is not so freaked out by his courtship, but I think he'll have to be very patient as they've never seen a different type of bird before, nevermind an amorous male! :) He's very timid towards me but I've started cuddling him last thing at night and first thing in the morning so hope he'll come round soon.

All the best.

It's not the only way to do it, but to preserve his life and ones' legs, I ensure that my rooster gets the heck out of my way at all times. A healthy respect for humans is the best way to keep him off your dinner menu. I have found that treating roosters more like livestock, than pets, keeps them in their place (i.e. not above you) and makes for a peaceful life. I made the mistake of treating my first roo like a pet, which resulted in me being attacked, and him in the slow cooker - not the most ideal outcome
tongue.png
. Anyway, I'm just sharing my experience, nothing more.

Ok CTKen, thanks for that. I am now making sure Abe is in the pen just before dusk so hopefully it won't happen again. As for treating them as pets, point taken, although I may get a nasty surprise one of these days, I'm taking on board that the SPCA looked after him for 6 mths and had no bother, and he is also still very timid with me. I will still pick him up, as with the lasses, as want him to feel comfy when checking him over/dusting him. Thanks again.

Ok CTKen, thanks for that. I am now making sure Abe is in the pen just before dusk so hopefully it won't happen again. As for treating them as pets, point taken, although I may get a nasty surprise one of these days, I'm taking on board that the SPCA looked after him for 6 mths and had no bother, and he is also still very timid with me. I will still pick him up, as with the lasses, as want him to feel comfy when checking him over/dusting him. Thanks again.

No probs - we all do things differently and thats what makes BYC a great resource. We can't all skin a cat the same way - far too boring
big_smile.png
Enjoy your Sunday!

Back
Top Bottom