Newly arrived chicks and swollen neck

PeuAPeu

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
Alabama
I just received my new chicks yesterday morning from McMurray. I noticed today one had a swollen area on its neck. It is acting fine, running around and eating and drinking. So then I started looking at my others. Quite a few had that swollen area on their neck on their right side. After some reading I now know that is where the crop is where they hold food for digestion. Do you think they are ok and that its just from their constant eating and drinking? I just want to make sure because if something happens to them I want to inform the hatchery.

I just received my new chicks yesterday morning from McMurray. I noticed today one had a swollen area on its neck. It is acting fine, running around and eating and drinking. So then I started looking at my others. Quite a few had that swollen area on their neck on their right side. After some reading I now know that is where the crop is where they hold food for digestion. Do you think they are ok and that its just from their constant eating and drinking? I just want to make sure because if something happens to them I want to inform the hatchery.
That's how a healthy chick should look!

It's their crop
smile.png
. Don't worry! They are healthy!

Perhaps you should look at pictures of baby chicks eating with full crops. Having new chicks is fun, however you will save yourself some stress and worry if you do some reading and looking at pictures before. They will go through many changes and behaviors and you will feel more confident when you know and recognize what they are doing is right. How they look is right, how they are acting is right. You can spend more time with them with out the worry and stress. You will enjoy them more.

yes i agree if you read more and look at some pictures and even watch them eat you will understand more and you want have the worry and the stress

Well I had some chicks I bought last year, about ten of them. They were about a week old when bought them locally from the feed and seed store. I guess I just didn't remember it happening or I didn't notice it before. ButI am not worried. They are running around and seem perfectly fine. This is day #3 and all seem well. I ordered 33 and they sent 38 and all are still thriving so we will just nature takes its course and I will do the best I can from my side. I didn't lose any last year so I am expecting good things this time around too. I was just a little anxious a this is my first hatchery order and I have heard nightmare storeis from some and good from others.

I have 6 ducks with the same problem and now one of my chicks. What do I do?

Back
Top Bottom