Newly discovered mes

Bushastead

Songster
Aug 19, 2019
Good morning!
Well it finally happened. I heard the sounds of a rooster coming from my coop.
I believe I have two more males. So 4 hens and possibly 3 roosters.
My question is, how long should i leave the three roosters with the hens? The reason I ask is the three I think are roosters are fighting. But i can only confirm one is for sure male and dont want to take the other two out until I know for sure.

Good morning!
Well it finally happened. I heard the sounds of a rooster coming from my coop.
I believe I have two more males. So 4 hens and possibly 3 roosters.
My question is, how long should i leave the three roosters with the hens? The reason I ask is the three I think are roosters are fighting. But i can only confirm one is for sure male and dont want to take the other two out until I know for sure.
Post pictures of your chickens, individually, unobstructed and from the side so we can help you identify the cockerels.

Post photos of each one in question. Show a close-up of the head so we can see the comb and wattles. Show a profile of each so we can see how heavy the legs are, posture, and general body build. How old are they, in weeks or months? What breeds? We might be able to help sex them for you.

I don't know what your facilities look like or what your goals are. I don't know how you manage them. I personally leave my pullets and cockerels together until the cockerels are butcher age. I have a lot of room and am set up for that. Most people aren't. What do you plan to do with your boys?

Post photos of each one in question. Show a close-up of the head so we can see the comb and wattles. Show a profile of each so we can see how heavy the legs are, posture, and general body build. How old are they, in weeks or months? What breeds? We might be able to help sex them for you.

I don't know what your facilities look like or what your goals are. I don't know how you manage them. I personally leave my pullets and cockerels together until the cockerels are butcher age. I have a lot of room and am set up for that. Most people aren't. What do you plan to do with your boys?
I live in town and are not allowed to have males. They are not being so nice so i wasnt sure if they should be separated from the females.
At what age is butcher age?
We were hoping to butcher them, but they are picking on the others and I am not sure if we need to rehome them sooner.

They are silkies and we have had them for seven weeks, and I would say they were a few weeks old when we got them. The farmer didnt really know how old they were.
I am pretty sure three are males (due to one of them making the rooster crow) out of my seven chickens. But they are picking on the others and I wasnt sure if they needed to be seperated.

I would not be able to tell the sex of a Silkie from a photo, to me they look weird. But there are some Silkie experts on here that might be able to help.

If they are drawing blood they need to be separated. That's a given. If they are removing feathers so you see bald spots, I's separate. If it is just skirmishing for pecking order that's normal. A certain amount of pecking and fighting is normal. It's when they start to hurt each other that it gets bad.

Back
Top Bottom