Newly hatched chick brain deformity??

Bambi123

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 4, 2015
I have a crested cream legbar chick that hatched a couple days ago. She hatched with a lump on her head and her head/neck moves back and forth constantly (think typewriter). When she tries to walk she turns in a circle. When she closes her eyes, the head movement stops. When offered food she tries to eat, and does get a few bites in before the head movement takes over again. The head lump seems a bit smaller today (initially it felt very soft, and now seems firmer) She does have "normal" behavior briefly (pecking at the floor, preening etc) but the head movement takes over again. I have been doing supportive care and trying to get more food/water into her. Has anyone ever dealt with anything similar or have any suggestions? It seems like she is fighting so I will continue to give her time.

I dealt with a similar issue with some Pekin ducklings, no lump but the same head movements and seemingly neurological issues. None of them made it... Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear.

@duluthralphie any suggestions?

I'm sorry you are having trouble. It sounds like a neurological issue. Do your best to keep her hydrated. Once hydrated well, give wet chick starter.

Poultry vitamins may be beneficial as well - add some Poultry Nutri-Drench to the water and give her 1-2drops directly.

Keep us posted.

I have not had much success with wry necks. This is most likely what it is. The Legbar unlike most crested chickens is not born/hatched with an open skull.

So the chances of a brain damage is lessened.

Nutrients of the Mother, the flock or just chance could cause this. 21 days is not a long time to go from egg to a living walking bird. Things happen. Birth defects are higher in birds than mammals..

Good luck with the bird. Whatever you do, do not breed t on the off chance it is genetic..

Sorry I can be no more help.

Back
Top Bottom