Newly Hatched Chick Dragging It's Shell

choven05

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 23, 2013
Peoria, IL
I posted in the Raising Chicks section, but I wanted a quick response. We are hatching eggs for the first time and our 1st one hatched this morning. It seems fine other then it's egg is still attached and it's dragging it around the incubator behind it. Is this normal? Do I need to do something? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

eek!

Well, you posted 7 hours ago... so hopefully everything is now fine...

it usually ends up OK..

HOWEVER, if it is still attached, you can take a clean pair of scissors and cut the string of tissue connecting the two. The scissors can be cleaned by washing well.

Unfortunately, sometimes the chick can manage to pull the guts out, if the egg stays connected. Usually no help is needed......

I sure do hope it worked out for your chick!
I posted in the Raising Chicks section, but I wanted a quick response. We are hatching eggs for the first time and our 1st one hatched this morning. It seems fine other then it's egg is still attached and it's dragging it around the incubator behind it. Is this normal? Do I need to do something? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I did end up cutting the cord so to speak and another chick has hatched and 3 more are on the way. It seems to be going good now. Thanks for replying.

Back
Top Bottom